Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 10 IV usb connectivity to iMac

profile.country.GB.title
walkergj
Explorer

Xperia 10 IV usb connectivity to iMac

I have a brand new Xperia 10 IV running Android 13 and I can't get my iMac (Ventura 13.2.1) nor MacAir (Monterey 12.6.3) to recognise usb connectivity.  I've enabled usb file transfer on the Xperia (although it won't let me select the "controlled by connected device" radio button - not sure whether this is this relevant?).  the Macs clearly see something because Android File Transfer messages "cannot connect to your device", and Sony Xperia companion starts up (even though its not compatible with Xperia 10).  My old Xperia L3 running Android 8.1.0 works ok with both Macs.  Any ideas?  

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello @walkergj 

try to launch Xperia companion first
connect the device

then tap on the notification to connect on the device.

make sure the device is unlocked

profile.country.GB.title
walkergj
Explorer

Hi - I've tried that and many other combinations.  My thinking is it's a generic Android 13 issue with Mac (or could be a Sony implementation issue).  I'll use work arounds (Google Drive etc) for the time being in the hope this will be sorted over the course of time!

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @walkergj, firstly make sure the connection mode on your device is set to File transfer/Transfer files. Also try different USB cables, but make sure not to use USB hub or USB extension cable. 

As per Sony website: Xperia Companion is necessary to be installed on Mac OS as Mac computers don’t support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) which is an extension needed for file transfer between a computer and an Android phone.

I also came across this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-10-iv/articles...

Hope it helps.

profile.country.GB.title
walkergj
Explorer

Thanks - yes I've tried all of those things (although the url link doesn't cover Android 13 of course!).  It all works ok with my old Xperia so it seems logical the fault was introduced with Android 13 and/or Xperia 10.  I was hopeful that new Xperia system drop yesterday would work.....but no!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey walkergj, check out the below requirements for the Companion to work correctly on your Mac: 

Internet broadband connection
2.0 GHz intel®️ CoreTM 2 Duo or better
5 GB free hard disk space
2 GB RAM
1 available USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port and USB cable
Mac OS®️ version 11 or later

Also, the Xperia 10 IV "IS" compatible with Companion. 

Try switching USB cables. Make sure that all the requirements are met: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-10-iv/articles... 

profile.country.GB.title
walkergj
Explorer

Yes it meets all the criteria (note it works ok with older Xperia - see above).  Plus the telling thing is that Android File Transfer can't connect.

Interestingly I thought I'd also try reinstalling Xperia Companion, only to be confronted by the following message

“Xperia Companion” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated.  Contact the developer for more information".  Probably an Apple hang-up with software extensions - but a solution will need to be found by Sony for users wanting to use it with Ventura MacOS. 

Xperia Companion probably worked previously because I did a complete image transfer from my old machine.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @walkergj, have you tried to perform a software repair via Xperia Companion using any other PC or Laptop? Then, check the USB connection with your Mac again. But make sure to create a backup before proceeding with the software repair as it will erase all the data

profile.country.ES.title
EYuliyanov

Hi!!

@walkergj 

That problem start with macOS Catalina permissions, so you have to:
1. Go to Applications folder
2. Select Xperia Companion and do right click and chose open, so you can have the open button on the next window, the security check window, instead of the "show on finder" or "ok" buttons
or you can follow this guide: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00252566 

Xperia Companion latest versions:

macOS Catalina --> 2.18.7 (latest compatible version) [direct link - clic here]

macOS Monterey or newer --> 2.18.8 (only macOS 12 or newer) [direct link - clic here]
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00236877

edit for additional note:
If your Xperia device has an inserted SD-Card the connection to Xperia Companion is slower.

profile.country.GB.title
walkergj
Explorer

Thanks for everyone's comments.  The reason I've not replied is that I'd managed to do some work arounds to transfer the data I wanted using cloud services, and assumed that it was a bug which Sony would eventually fix.

Good news is that as a result of one of the recent Sony upgrades I can now at least get direct connectivity to Apple Photos (the problem I had was failure of the two devices to communicate over USB).  Now that works I'll try syncing up my music files!