Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5iii Raw/JPG files different

profile.country.GB.title
grasuthe4

Xperia 5iii Raw/JPG files different

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I've been playing around with the Raw/JPG option on the 5iii phone and noticed a difference between the two images. My understanding is that the JPG image is made up from the raw version. This is how DSLRs seem to work. Where I noticed the difference was when my dog was moving in the frame while taking the shot. Comparing the raw and JPG images shows a definite difference in the dogs movement. Both files have the same filename, just the different extension. It's like the raw file is a taken a moment after the JPG version. The user manual states 'RAW & JPEG: A RAW image and a JPEG image are created at the same time. This is suitable when you need two image files, a JPEG for viewing, and a RAW for editing'

Kind of implying that they are not necessarily the same image.

Anyhoo, for me it's not really a problem as most of the time I'm simply using JPG. Just thought I'd try raw.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

Grahame

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @grasuthe4,as per the device manual, the RAW image and JPEG image are the same thing, the only difference is the images files. Try to clear the cached data of the camera app by tapping Settings - Apps & Notifications - Camera - Storage - Clear Cache & Data), then check it again.

profile.country.GB.title
grasuthe4

Thanks for that, I'll give that a go and see what happens 😉

Piscie
Community Team

@grasuthe4, great! keep us updated about this! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
grasuthe4

Here are a couple of photos that show the symptoms I mentioned. To reduce the size of the dng file I've simply exported as jpeg without any other processing. There doesn't seem to be any specific conditions that causes the issue e.g. shutter speed/IOS, at least not that I can see. Some of the pictures have it and others don't. I did have Strava running on the phone during the time I was out but don't know if that would have any effect on it. As I said before, it's not really a problem for me, more an observation. I can't think when I would need to use both jpeg and dng pictures. The last cropped picture is interesting, there is a bit of corruption, see the arrows, only of the dng file, not on the jpeg version. 

Who knows........JpegJpegDNGDNGJpegJpegDNGDNGDNG with corruptionDNG with corruption

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi @ grasuthe4,

So do you convert the RAW pictures DNG and this corruption happens after the conversion?

profile.country.GB.title
grasuthe4

Hi,

no, the corruption is visible on the original DNG file but not on the JPG version with the same filename. I can't say I've seen these symptoms since then so I'm just putting it down to a freak occurrence(a glitch on the Matrix).

Grahame

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Let us know if it happened again then