Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 ILCE1 humming noise

profile.country.GB.title
N10CKK
New

Sony A1 ILCE1 humming noise

I have had my A1 for a while now but after the latest major update (2.02) I notice that it now makes a low humming sound, like a cooling fan noise, which is quite noticeable in a quiet hide. I do not believe there is active cooling on the camera. Also, the battery now drains really quickly, likely as a result of whatever this is. I see that this issue is being reported by others too, but can't see any posts here. Sony and fellow photographers, what is this and how do I stop it?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
N10CKK
New

Actually, I now find that the noise is coming from my Sony 400 f2.8 GM lens. It whirrs continually. It never did this until this week. I have been through the menus and I do not have anything switched on which I think would do this (for example pre-AF). It is draining my battery real quick.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @N10CKK 

Do the same issues happen when you try another lens with the camera?

We need to eliminate the factors to know where are the issues coming from exactly.

profile.country.GB.title
GordonT

I get a similar noise using my A1 and 200-600 lens

profile.country.GB.title
N10CKK
New

It's definitely coming from the lens not the camera. I wonder if it is a gyro relating to IS. I contacted Sony and they weren't very helpful, just suggesting I send it in for repair. I've looked online and there are several people saying the same thing. Weird thing is that it only started recently. Never a problem before