Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
EggDublin

Thanks Peter,

That is very disappointing news as I'm sure, like me, lots of people would be content if the TV's functioned correctly now despite not having the the extended features that are coming in March (although I suspect those features will never be availible on these units).

Thanks for clarifying nevertheless.

elraouk

If you have instability after an update, do a factory reset. Has improved things for a lot of people. 
profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

So no update before Christmas to "repair" the Amazon UHD error messages blocking its use (which only appeared after the December 10th update)?  I have no problem with updates having unintended consequences but I suggest the onus is on Sony to rectify it quickly.  Maybe Sony should be awarded a "Scrooge" award.

Shame on Sony for treating customers with such contempt!

john.pringle

Not for me it hasn't this tv is worse now than before the latest update. factory reset after doesn't make any difference Sent from my iPad
mk1.golf.1983

A factory data reset was the first thing I did after the update. Complete and utter incompetence!

profile.country.GB.title
march83

Sony need to sort this Amazon UHD problem. I've been working round most the issues with my TV and was still farily happy with it because I mainly use it as a display for other sources (Sky and PC) which work reasonlbly well (except for weird sky lip sync issues which is completely different between SD and HD channels). 

After I bought the TV I also signed up to Amazon Prime purely so I had some UHD content for my TV (the Amazon UHD content isn't the best example of UHD but it is pretty good). I'm now left unable to watch any of the Amazon UHD content after the recent update basicially meaning I've wasted my money on my Amazon prime subscription. I'll probably take advantage of the free 1 day delivery a few times but I doubt I'll watch any of the other content as the SD Amazon stuff just doesn't look that great on the TV.

I can't find any other non Sony TV users experiencing these issues with Amazon UHD so I think it is safe to assume this was a bug introduced by the lastest update. 

Please sort this Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Peter_S. wrote:

Hi EggDublin,

My current status is that there will be no firmware update before Christmas for UK.

The next planned release for UK TVs is the one end of March.

Cheers

Peter

Utterly disgusting from Sony ( not aimed at you! ). They clearly do NOT CARE about their customers. 4 months for a firmware??? They have broken the TV 3D and it's a shambles of an OS.

spook63

@Risc0n wrote:

@Peter_S. wrote:

Hi EggDublin,

My current status is that there will be no firmware update before Christmas for UK.

The next planned release for UK TVs is the one end of March.

Cheers

Peter

Utterly disgusting from Sony ( not aimed at you! ). They clearly do NOT CARE about their customers. 4 months for a firmware??? They have broken the TV 3D and it's a shambles of an OS.

I totally agree. So apparently I now have to wait 4 months to get back my YouView, which I had already waited 5 months for and had for less than a month before it was snatched away from me by a thoughtless and ill-conceived update. Shame on you Sony, you are a disgrace. I'm not in the business of shooting the messenger, but my message to Peter_S is this: unless you can effectively convey the reasonable anger expressed in this forum to the powers that be and use whatever influence you have to get them to reverse this stupid "status", then the damage to Sony's reputation, which is already extensive, will be irreparable.

Come on Peter, we're all counting on you to get them to do something for us much sooner than March!

julianblack

I returned my Sony set three weeks ago to John Lewis and replaced it with an LG. It does all that the specs say it should. I've even had a software update for it that hasn't degraded operability. I should thank Sony for introducing me to LG as I would never have changed brands for my TV purchases before having a Sony Android TV. Sent from my iPad
Nibor99

/Peter - I really hope that you can get Sony to sharpen up their act regarding getting these TVs sorted. Mine is still having flaky start up and shutdown issues. I currently use my KD43X8039CBU as a monitor for my Virgin TiVo box so my current issues are comparatively slight but I really feel for those who want it to do more. Someday I may want to make more use of the TV's features so I shall continue to follow this thread. Incidentally on another issue I checked to see if my extended 5 year guarantee had been registered properly. I had registered it via a phone call when I bought it but on rechecking with customer care no personal details had been recorded and no certificate of guarantee sent out. I was then promised a certificate - which I received a few days later //*but* //within another four days I received another exact duplicate !?? As an aside it may be prudent for Sony 4K TV owners to get a hard copy of any 5 year guarantee - they may be needing it!! Peter please keep up your efforts on this community's behalf!!/