Join now - be part of our community!

43XD8099BU No signal. Please check your antenna connection

FoxyRacer
New

43XD8099BU No signal. Please check your antenna connection

I bought this product three and a half years ago.  It has had this problem intermittently since new.  It can happen several times in a week or can go a couple of months and be fine.  It was replaced once under warranty but the replacement had the same problem of this message appearing and when it does there is no reception on the channel which the set is tuned to.  Usually a few channels are affected but not all.  It can be different channels each time it happens.  When the problem disappears it is for no apparent reason and then it is OK for a while.  I have 5 TVs in total and if I connect any one of my other TVs to the aerial there is no problem at all. Obviously with 5 TVs I have an amplifier but removing it and connecting the downlead directly to this TV makes no difference.

I have tried software updates several times.  I have tried retuning the digital channels several times.  I have thoroughly checked all aerial connections (I am an electrical engineer so I know how to make good connections!).  I have completely disconnected the set from everything, left it for 15 mins. then reconnected (re-booted) and sometimes that seems to solve the problem for a while, sometimes not.

This morning I just wanted to watch ITV4 and got the message; BBC2, Channels 4 and 5 and probably several others were down, BBC1 and ITV1 were fine.

I am ready to throw this set out of the window.  Does anyone know if it is possible these days for a consumer to talk to Sony?  My retailer says they can't, they can only replace (which they've done) or repair the set (repair would be very difficult with the fault being so intermittent. The repairer would have to keep the set for a couple of months for the fault to appear and then it would probably disappear again before they could diagnose the fault.

As an aside, sometimes this set just locks up so I can't change channels at all.  At least when that happens a re-boot sorts it out but it is very annoying.

Any ideas anyone?

PS I love the set when it works properly.  Great picture quality!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

The fact you have had a replacement and that was also the same suggests this is most likely a signal issue. Just because a different set works OK doesn't mean the signal is good. Reception conditions can vary day to day and week to week and a marginal quality signal will give exactly the symptoms you describe.

Another problem (again related  to poor and weak signal) is having HDMI leads from other equipment running close to or alongside the aerial feeder cable. With a strong signal it shouldn't matter, with a marginal one it can completely wipe it out.

If you look at the user manual for your TV it will probably show how to access the signal diagnostics page where you should see a basic indication of both signal level and quality. Check it on a variety of channels.