Join now - be part of our community!

*** 65XE8596 Android TV recent display issue

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** 65XE8596 Android TV recent display issue

Hi, I have owned this TV since early October 2017 and I have few minor issues such as Sambaa TV but, two or three week ago, when choosing random channnels on the Virgin TV input, I started seeing "dash white lines at the top of the display.

They would start on the left and work right, sometimes it was halfway across and occasionally, all the way across.

If the channel I was watching on Virgin TV and the same channel name was also on the Digital Freeview input, I would switch in put to that channel but, there were no white lines there.  I did this a few times and the Freeview version of that channel was always clear.

Then a couple of days ago while watching "This Morning" channel 103, the adverts came on and I was amazed to see the the white lines were fully across the top and bottom of the display!  I didnt stay long enough to see if the lines actually stayed on through "This Morning"!

I've also noticed a thinner continuous black line all across the top!

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

I've taken a few photo's which I can hopefully upload but, are there any restrictions to file size?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi,

I've found some picture quality troubleshooting tips here for you to try. Let us know how you get along.

Cheers,

EdwinaU

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for your reply!

I’ve tried those troubleshooting tips, well, the tips that seemed related to my issues but, didn’t help though!

So, I don’t know if my issues are soft or hardware related?  I’ve contacted Sony support but, other that suggesting that it might be to do with other devices that are connected, they don’t know!

I told them that I’ve had my virgin media box, Apple TV box and Sony Home cinema player for years and my recent Sony TV’s 65XE 7003 was not affected by my other devices and, my current 65XE8596 TV which I’ve had since 11th October was fine up until about size weeks ago but, a week or so after the 2.2671 update, I began to see the two issues mentioned!

Sony have actually mentioned the random issue when choosing channels and, the display remains black but, still get audio?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Peeoff the problem you see is actually due to the broadcaster. Since the good old days of analogue tv signal the first and last line of each frame were used to send information (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_blanking_interval ) . Now they should not be in use anymore, but sometimes it happens and then your tv (that use to show any information in each frame) show data bixel in the first or last line of the frame. You should talk with your broacast provider.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi rooobb

Yes I get that but, as I said in my topic, I’ve always bought Sony TV’s and, I’ve never had any of the issues that I’ve described on any of them!

In July last year, I purchased the Sony 65XE7003 and, because of other priblems, that was replaced by the same model at the end of August and, neither one of those TV’s showed any sign of the “dashed white lines” on the display!

I upgraded the that TV to a 65XE 8596 TV and for about three months, this TV also showed no signs of these lines but, it may be a coincidence, a couple of weeks after I updated to 2.2671, I started to see the dashed white lines and, when choosing random channels, the audio would be fine but, no picture, just a black screen! 

If I then pressed the up/down button and the back to that channel, the picture would appear!  I never tried it but, I wonder if the picture would have appeared if I had left it on the channel???

I contacted Sony Support but, so far, they have been unable to resolve either one of these issues!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As I said the lines should not be related to the tv unless you have other set that use some little overscan cutting those lines.
The black screen is another matter...
profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi, 

Lets just stick with my current 65XE8596 Android TV, I’ve had this TV since early October 2017!  It performed well until December end!  Then, after I updated to 2.2671, it was then that I started seeing these two issues on the TV!

I contacted Sony Support and all they could think of was, to disconnect all other devices and carry out a factory data reset!

I was against doing that because, having had my Virgin v6 box, Sony E370 box and Apple TV box all connected years without ANY issues right up until December 2017; it’s clear to me that, it’s not my connected devices!  We have had both Sky and Virgin boxes for around 15 Plus years and had no problem so, It’s not my current Broadcaster!  The TV is at fault!  Was it the 2.2671 update?  Who knows!

I did the reset anyway but, that didn’t help!