Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV - WiFi and Ethernet Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

Android TV - WiFi and Ethernet Issues

Hi All

I have noticed that there are some people reporting issues with network connectivity.

Please reply back in this thread with your issue.  Please also list your tv model and all relevent information.

Cheers

203 REPLIES 203
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi rooobb

Is it real Sony that suggests specific channels for wifi transmition receiving?

I remember some ancient wireless Atheros boards that had issues with channel auto selection and used specific software to eliminate issue, independently from Windows wireless embended defaults.

Channel selection usually depends on whatever wireless exist beside our router or PC. Usually cordless phones, other neighbour routers or sometimes bad non filtered power supplies of other devices like DVD players.

This is really a problem of ancient (at least 15 years old) wifi cards or usb's !!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wifi dropouts and throughput issue could be caused when too many are on the same wifi channel.  Many routers these days are set to Auto change channel to the best one - but many still dont or are set manually - so advice is to try another channel - you never know, it could be an simple as that.  

Just done a scan on mine :slight_smile:

_20160504_203749.JPG

_20160504_203822.JPG

Hence many wifi signals.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@MiCal1967 @Anonymous AFAIK apart from collision with other devices 1,6 and 11 channels are the only ones that are not overlapped so they are better by definition. It is still true that probably Sony TVs are too sensible to such an effect, but being that in this way it works and it has no harm on other devices....

sarathml86
Explorer

wifii not detecting by TV... changed the channel of wifi it detects but doesnt connect to the wireless internet.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

So the problem now could be different.... have you tried setting up  a public dns like 8. 8. 8. 8 instead of defaulting to your provider?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@sarathml86

At Home Menu go to your Network, Wifi, select your router name, select Forget network, reboot, wait for 1 minute check again if a connection is active even if deleted (sometimes happens) and try to connect on your router again.

Also see this:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66485/kw/forget%20wireless%20con...

@rooobb

I believe that suggestion of Sony about 1, 6 or 11 is wrong.

What is right is to check traffic around you and see which channel is mostly occupied, as Quinnicus posted, then choose a channel of five channels difference from that. Below or above. For example if channel 4 is mostly occupied then try channel 9, 10 or 11. I am not sure but I think it is the 5 channels difference the solution to avoid interference. Of course everything is relative because your neighbour might power OFF or reboot his router and his Auto Channel selection goes to another channel. Just believe that everything has to do with quality of router and wifi board

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Maybe it's wrong but Sony suggestion to use channel 1,6,11 has solved most of the case of wifi connections https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55882/p/61659,95543,95552,95756/c/65,66/kw/wifi%20...

In any case I don't use wifi anymore: you cannot stream smoothly HD content on any device not only Android TV, put two small powerplug and everything is perfect :wink:

sarathml86
Explorer

I have not set that ..connected through wired internet.. How do i set that
to connect wirelessly

--
Thanks and regards
Sarath.M
*07528330005*
profile.country.GB.title
dusty_bin
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion about using channels 1, 6, 11.  I didn't think this would make much difference as it only reduces adjacent channel interference, but I had already gone to channel 10 as an experiment so thought it worth while trying 11 as weel.  However I also moved the router to be a bt further away from the wall thatruns almost parallel to the direction towards the TV.

I am no getting connections most of the time rather than just occassionally.  Also found the WiFi connection info in Settings and the signal is now shown as 'fair' rather than 'poor'.

Slowly getting there, but it does seem that this TV model is really not sensitive enough - as said originally, there are no issues connecting other devices in the same location.

Thanks again and lets hope Sony find a way to improve things.

1. There doesnt seem to be a way to view the settings (SSID, password, etc.) of saved networks. 

2. Being able, optionally, to associate a channel number with each saved network so it doesn't need to search for ages.

deadphill
Explorer