Join now - be part of our community!

ARC Dolby Digital Plus failure with Yamaha RX-V375

stu-e2
Explorer

ARC Dolby Digital Plus failure with Yamaha RX-V375

I'm a proud owner of a new 65x95j. I am having a problem with Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) selected for the ARC connection to my trusty Yamaha RX-V375 AV receiver. If I select Dolby Digital (DD) it works. If I select DD+ the Yamaha goes silent and the display says "Decoder off" Which means it is not receiving any signal. If I then manually change the input on the Yamaha and then back again to the ARC input, it works. However I have to do this every time the TV is turned off and on again or when the audio changes to a different format.

I've tried different high speed HDMI cables including a HDMI Ultra Certified Cable.

I can also confirm DTS works ok via ARC.

The Yamaha has been working with a Fire TV stick with DD+ so this format is supported at least on a regular HDMI input.

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.HU.title
Csabi1984
Explorer

Unfortunately my strength is not English :)
Forget the STB device in my case.
I mentioned it because I read on another forum that similarly (another HDMI device affects the operation of HDMI ARC) while I think the HDMI ports shouldn’t affect each other, or do I know wrong?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Csabi1984 yes you are wrong. HDMI-ARC works only if HDMI-CEC is enabled and this one is affected by any component connected to the whole system: a known case for issues were/are Sky decoders that has a bad HDMI-CEC implementation that makes any other system connected to works incorrectly (for this very reason you may find adatper/cables HDMI CECless that can be used to exclude a single device from the chain (while still sending audio/video obviously)

profile.country.HU.title
Csabi1984
Explorer

I read about the HDMI CEC-LESS adapter but I think if it is enabled then the ARC transmission from that device will also be off or will the audio pass regardless?
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Arc scope is limited to audio device only. And there can be only one connected

profile.country.HU.title
Csabi1984
Explorer

I think CEC either works or it doesn't :). The fact that one day is good and the other day is no longer what I think is a software bug.
But we can talk about HDMI cables, which I also think that if it is capable of 4K60 Hz, it should last the next day :)
As a side note, the TV doesn't actually turn off but goes to sleep (if I know it)
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

That's not always the case because CEC is only a simple one-pin protocol (pin 13 btw) but the underlying implementation can be quite tricky. In any case, in your case is quite easy: if pulling out the set top box solve the issue, you can try to use a cecless adapter to connect it and forget about the issue.

profile.country.HU.title
Csabi1984
Explorer

I don’t have an STB device but a Dune 4K ProII media player and an Amlogic X96 maxplus. 
The STB box anomaly was for someone else with this type of TV.