Join now - be part of our community!

AV1 "No Signal" from Wii/Xbox on KD-49XE9005BU

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

AV1 "No Signal" from Wii/Xbox on KD-49XE9005BU

Hi

I recently received delivery of a new KD-49XE9005BU.

However, there seems to be a problem with the AV1 input on the TV.  I connected a Wii to this input in the same way I had to the previous TV I had (a Toshiba) and I get a "No signal" message even though the Wii is turned on.  I tested the Wii back on the old TV and it works fine (with the same connection cables I am trying to use).  I also then connected the Wii to the AV2 (component) input to the new TV and it works so I am pretty happy there is no problem with the Wii itself (or the cables).

I then tested an Xbox on the AV1 input on the new TV and again no signal but, as with the Wii, it would connect to AV2 (component) input.

This all leads me to conclude that there is a problem with the AV1 input.  Before it goes back to the shop, any suggestions - is it likely just broken? is there possibly an issue with signal format?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi

Can you specify what cables you are using, what sort of plug(s) at each end, and what the Wii and Xbox are sending, composite or component?

AV IN 1 takes a 3.5mm tip-and-ring jack, and needs an Analogue Extension Cable to accommodate RCA (phono) connections, but it is expecting composite input.

AV IN 2 will take composite off 3 RCA (phono) plugs in the R, L and Y of Component In, or component off 5 plugs adding the Pr and Pb inputs.

The wiring for the inputs is specified on page 12GB of the Reference Manual you will have got with the TV.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi brigandaca,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Can you let me know which cable you are using to make the connections?

Thanks,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

Hi

I am using the standard cables that came with the Wii.

In both cases it is the 3 cable input (Red, White & Yellow) so composite.  For AV2 I plug this in ignoring the Pr and Pb inputs and this works.

For AV1 I use the attachment to combine these to a single jack - this is what I used on my old Toshiba (and still works on the Toshiba) but the Sony does not seem to like.

Sony technical advice was to disconnect everything and unplug for 5 mins.  Then reconnect with a factory reset.  I did this with no change - still No Signal on AV1.

Ta

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

What model Toshiba? If you have the manual for it still, or can look it up on the web, you can check the pinouts, and see if they are the same as for the Sony on page 12GB of the manual for that.

Also, ensure your working attachment is a 3.5mm three-section (three insulating bands, actually four-section), jack, not a 2.5mm, or two section, or whatever.

Alternatively, plug your attachment into AV IN 1, and with just the yellow from the Wii output, try that in the red and white inputs of the attachment, in turn, and see if you then get a signal.

If you do, plug the white output into one of the two remaining input connectors, and see if sound comes out of the left or right side of the TV - it should be the left only, swap it over if it is right only.

Though it may come out of both sides, in which case try it in the remaining input to see if it picks a side.

If still not, repeat with the red plug.

if it does mono all the time, then you will just have to figure out left and right by comparison with where sounds are when you use AV IN 2, but AR least you will now know how your attachment is wired differently from the Sony version.

If you don’t get a signal from plugging the yellow out into any of the three ins on the attachment, then it does look as if the AV IN 1 may be faulty, but I bet Sony will be reluctant to listen unless you are getting the failure with their phono to jack adapter.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

Hi

The Toshiba is a 40VL758 - looking at the manual online it seems to state 3.5mm mini-jack but not sure I can make much more than that out of it (we're stretching my abilities now).

Ta - I will have another play this evening trying with a few of the R/Y/W plugs attached and see if I have any joy.

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

Had another play last night - tried all the various composite plugs in all the various 3.5mm adapter jack sockets and still got nothing from the Wii.  No picture no noise - nothing.

I also dug out a DVD player I have which has a dedicated composite output.  I tried this and again nothing through AV1.  I even tried this with a SCART to composite cable I have and, common with the Wii and Xbox, this will work through AV2 (when Pr and Pb are ignored) but nothing through AV1.

Is there any way to test the AV1?  The TV diagnostics say it has no problems and when something is plugged into the AV1 port it does allow AV1 to be selected as an option from the TV menu...

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

OK folks - I had a Sony engineer out under the warrantly and it took him about 2 mins to agree that there is a fault with the AV1 connection.  The repair for which would be a new internal board.

However, as it is under warranty the shop I purchased it from will repace it as it was faulty from the box. 

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

In a ridiculous turn of events, I recieved a replacement TV today ... and the same thing is happening.  Nothing is working via the AV1 socket!!!!

I can't be this unlucky - there must be something I'm missing!

profile.country.GB.title
brigandaca

...and I've managed to get the Wii to work on the replacement TV.

BUT, I've done so by switching the yellow and white input wires around on the min-jack inputs?!?!?!  So swapping the Video with Audio Right (I tried this on the old one too but it didn't work).  Now that should not work and as I've used all the wires before to connect to TVs sucessfully with the expected colours matching, I'm puzzled by it - but it works.  Not sure why but it does.