Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh, my XE9005 with mini calibration settings is washed out, grey and jittery, while not accurate colour both Sports and Live Football Mode really pop the picture in SDR and remove all the jitter on the PS4 Pro feed. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

I found that my custom setting was a bit juddery. But live and sports seem to have removed that. I’ve stuck it back on to standard. It’s working well. Although the colour seared my eyes a bit when they went back to the studio 😂😂 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

yeh, the jitter was my biggest issue but Sports or Live Football mode, its really smooth with good motion.  Its funny as both modes are terrible with standard HD broadcast.

PS4 Pro UHD feed from iPlayer 2.0 on the XE90:

IMG_20180619_201436449.jpgIMG_20180619_201234706.jpgIMG_20180619_201034914.jpgIMG_20180619_201145954.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

FWIW, watching the Russia vs Egypt match via a Roku Streaming+ Stick plugged into an XE9005, the HLG picture is detailed but pretty dull and dim. It seems much more vibrant and has a greater ‘pop’ when HDR is turned off in the picture settings. Odd!

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

*** can any of  you post the feedback  url for the bbc  iplayer it pops  up  too  quickly for me  to write down? cheers.***

colour space is on  auto  and getting a bright pictutre here but  keep losing sound.

profile.country.GB.title
batman55
Explorer

I am not sure what it is like on the PS4 but on the Xbox One X which is more than capable the iPlayer app has been neglected and has not bee updated since 2016 (according to the version number) It seems quite a shame since it is starting to bear little resemblance the current app.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

So yeh, overall once I had put Sports Mode on and messed abit with the picture settings, the picture was bright and nice looking from the PS4 Pro iPlayer UHD feed to the XE90. Motion was really really good. Very happy I can now settle in to watch the rest of the BBC games like this.

Its a shame the XE90 does not support it natively but at least I can watch with the PS4 Pro even if its not in true HDR and the TV is kludging it.

@pb1965 wrote:

FWIW, watching the Russia vs Egypt match via a Roku Streaming+ Stick plugged into an XE9005, the HLG picture is detailed but pretty dull and dim. It seems much more vibrant and has a greater ‘pop’ when HDR is turned off in the picture settings. Odd!

Similar results on the PS4, I wonder if the HLG is working correctly? The colour is probably totally out on the PS4 but it looked good either without HDR or forced into HLG kludge mode.

It probably was down to the fact it was so washed out with standard settings from the PS4 feed.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

"im not sure which model you have but on my XE 9305 I have had no issues at all playing the hdr videos on youtube no skipping or juddering"

Sorry, you've misread my post - HDR is fine at 24, 25 or 30fps. Anything at all (Full HD or 4k) at 50 or 60fps skips and judders from YouTube on my TV.

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:
"im not sure which model you have but on my XE 9305 I have had no issues at all playing the hdr videos on youtube no skipping or juddering"

Sorry, you've misread my post - HDR is fine at 24, 25 or 30fps. Anything at all in 4k at 50 or 60fps skips and judders from YouTube.

ive olayed 50  fps and the  test video which was suggested earlier  using youtube without  encountering the problems which you  have  described. Is yours the xe9305 ?  just curious  if we are  talking abut the same model because I definitely  dont get those problems ?

btw  dont suppose that you know what the bbc iplayer   feedback url is do you,  it pops up too fast on the app for me to be able to  write it down?

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Hi,

I have the 49XE9005; I think the 9305 has the next image processing up and so might be able to handle 50 or 60fps?  Just done another test on mine and it definitely won't do any 50 or 60fps from YouTube.

Interestingly, it seems using Chromecast to view YouTube videos controlled from your phone can produce worse results than using the in-built YouTube app, at least when trying to watch 60fps videos, plus things like Stats for Nerds aren't available. 

Sorry, forgot to answer the last bit - the iPlayer Beta feedback link is http://bbc.in/newhome .