Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

Latest email reply. 

Dear 

Thank you for your recent email.

In reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-49XE9005, we confirm that we are currently working with our Engineers to make this feature available for future Live BBC streaming events.

bought a Roku. Will see how it works. That splitter gets quite good reviews 👍🏻👍🏻

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

Budget isn't an issue really just buy cheesed off about but then I could use my soundbar again with the TV ...it's just another remote to find under the sofa 😁

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:

I've tried various 60fps and 50fps demos on YouTube that aren't HDR and they judder and skip, i.e. not enough processing power.  HDR isn't the issue here, it's 50/60fps at 4k.  There simply isn't enough decoding grunt to decode a 50/60fps stream at 4k using the internal Apps.  Externally taking the signal and displaying it is fine at 50/60fps, 4k, HDR etc.

im not sure which model you have but on my XE 9305 I  have had no issues at all playing the  hdr videos on youtube no skipping or juddering and picture options  show that hdr mode was triggered too..  re the world cup stuff im using  the iplayer app on v6 box  but am losing sound. I think  this is a network bandwidth contension issue as this is only during game time when there are a lot of viewers the post match discussions work flawlessley.  I also  managed to  watch  60 minutes of the Japan  Columbia game today without any issues at all. picture quality was excellent and so bright that  when the sun was in the  frame I almost had to  squint because it was so dazzlingly bright.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Oh lord. Perhaps I'll get the updated version of iPlayer with my XD80. What about early 2016 models? XD85? If I am not mistaken Sony updated the SoC on the late 2016 models. This is the info I found about my XD80:

"Mediatek MT5891, CPU: ARM Cortex-A53, 1100 MHz, Cores: 4, RAM: 2 GB,"

Is it the SoC that determines this?

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

My TV doesn't seem to flag up HDR only way I can tell is if I go into
picture mode and then it displays HDR unless it Dolby vision then it comes
up
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@benjy86 wrote:
My TV doesn't seem to flag up HDR only way I can tell is if I go into
picture mode and then it displays HDR unless it Dolby vision then it comes
up.
I like you thought that it would show on the main screen but it  doesnt it  indicates HDR in the picture options  as you've mentioned.you've mentioned n your post.

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

It's annoying on my lg it comes up whatever type you use
profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

D4A566F8-7965-4C9F-9D90-52D90D94FEF0.jpeg

D5E03BC3-906A-4C79-97C8-D0A39AFE93B5.jpeg

Picture is quite dark, so have turned live football mode on . Roku seems to be working fine.

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Isn't it better to turn up the brightness? I thought football mode was the worst

profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

Turned football mode on for quickness, but have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of judder. + didn’t really want to start messing around with my settings too much. But I will say that the brightness is up to its highest on football mode and I would say remains quite dark.