Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:

Hi,

I have the 49XE9005; I think the 9305 has the next image processing up and so might be able to handle 50 or 60fps?  Just done another test on mine and it definitely won't do any 50 or 60fps from YouTube.

Interestingly, it seems using Chromecast to view YouTube videos controlled from your phone can produce worse results than using the in-built YouTube app, at least when  trying to watch 60fps videos, plus things like Stats for Nerds aren't available. 

ah ok that might explain it. my 65XE 9305 has the x1 extreme processor so its obviously dealing with the high frame rate material  better than the  processor in the 9005 therefore im not experiencing any issues even with HDR high frame rate content on my tv.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Yep, that one's sadly not available in the 49XE9005... but... it's used in the 49XF9005, which is why I think the 2018 XD Sony range of TVs work fine.  It's all down to the capabilities of these processors.  X1 Extreme = ok, X1 = not powerful enough.

(Just added a link to the feedback page on the previous post too - apologies for missing this the first time.)

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:

Hi,

I have the 49XE9005; I think the 9305 has the next image processing up and so might be able to handle 50 or 60fps?  Just done another test on mine and it definitely won't do any 50 or 60fps from YouTube.

Interestingly, it seems using Chromecast to view YouTube videos controlled from your phone can produce worse results than using the in-built YouTube app, at least when trying to watch 60fps videos, plus things like Stats for Nerds aren't available. 

Sorry, forgot to answer the last bit - the iPlayer Beta feedback link is http://bbc.in/newhome .

thank you  for  the url I'll  explain the sound problem which I and others have had and see what they  suggest, however this url is different to the one that pops up  when i  lauch the iplayer app on my V6 boxI'm sure that url references the world cup but as it pops up for only a second there's no way i can  remember and  write it down

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

In Austria we get the World Cup in 4K HDR/HLG via ORF TVthek. I had the chance to have a look at it on a Sony Android TV and it worked really well. Bitrate was at around 40mbps and the motion resolution looked to be really high, suppose 50p.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

In Austria we get the World Cup in 4K HDR/HLG via ORF TVthek. I had the chance to have a look at it on a Sony Android TV and it worked really well. Bitrate was at around 40mbps and the motion resolution looked to be really high, suppose 50p.

Yeh on the BBC iPlayer UHD feed via the PS4 Pro the motion was terrible until I put on sports mode, then it was really nice and smooth and also no frame repeats, as I assumed too it was 50hz. I wonder if the jitter that the TV was correcting from the PS4 actually helped avoid frame repeats on the XE90. Hmmm

The iPlayer feed was supposed to be 40Mbps but I didn't actually check it. I only had a couple of buffer attempts apart from that picture and sound were great (once I put the TV in Sports mode, sports mode does not eliminate the frame drop/repeats usually so there must have been something different in the source).

profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

got this email from the bbc yesterday.

Thanks for contacting BBC iPlayer Support.

I understand you're unable to take part in our World Cup UHD Trial on your Sony KD-49XE9005 television.

This is a trial to help make sure all audiences can enjoy the next generation of high quality TV in future. It’s still a work in progress for Ultra HD and HDR content and we’re working closely with the industry to make sure our content is as widely available as possible. The experience and data gathered from this trial will help the BBC to optimise UHD delivery in the future. The trial also helps the BBC and wider industry prepare for a time when delivering such large-scale events in such high quality, for larger audiences, over the open internet is normal. The BBC sees an important distribution channel in the future.

I do understand that you’d strongly like support on your XE9005, so I'd like to assure you that I've fully registered your concerns. This will be included on feedback reports that are available to personnel responsible for maintaining and improving the BBC iPlayer service.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Andrew Gilfillan

BBC iPlayer Support Team

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help

PS. If you need to get in touch again (or we've asked you to), please use our webform at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact/return and include your case number.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Not a bad response from the BBC there. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

id just love to know how far off is this mystical date labled "future" as the bbc has been pratting about with 4k stuff since the london 2012 olympics which they filmed in 4k from start to finish. 6 years down and they are still trialin it but dont worry we are doing vr stuff now because its at thing now and less than 1% of our viewers have the equipment to view it. 

id love to know why the web based iplayer app hasnt been updated a bit as it still being stuck on 720p 30fps with its ropey bitrate fluctuations is rather poor now when you compare it with FREE streaming from multiple sites. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

id love to know why the web based iplayer app hasnt been updated a bit as it still being stuck on 720p 30fps with its ropey bitrate fluctuations is rather poor now when you compare it with FREE streaming from multiple sites. 

This was another interesting observation I had yesterday with the PS4 Pro iPlayer vs the XE90 one, on the PS4 Pro the information screen in help it lists the resolutions as 1920x1080 (1080p) where as in the XE90 one they are 1280x720 (720p). This probabably explains why the UI looks nicer on the PS4 vs the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

Is there still a test stream loop on iplayer? I can't seem to find it anywhere?