Join now - be part of our community!

BBCiPlayer

profile.country.GB.title
ShewieA
Explorer

BBCiPlayer

The BBCiPlayer has worked fine since we bought the TV a couple of years ago, but has today suddenly stopped working. I checked the software on the TV was up-to-date and I've tried restarting it a couple of times and switching everything off and back on. I've also looked in the Google Playstore to see if I could download it again, but it says it's not available for this equipment. Anyone any ideas what's happened and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Funkyhippo
New

Try the below. Worked on my TV. 

——

Figured out a work around for this problem. 

This is to uninstall latest update for the live tv/youview app. 

It will update itself everyday so you will have to keep doing it. Steps below. 

1. Go to apps page via the top menu and down to ‘live tv & catch up’

2.Hold down on the middle remote button to bring up the menu for that app. 
3. Select ‘Info’

4. Select ‘Uninstall Updates’ and OK. 

5. IPlayer will now open. 

profile.country.GB.title
ShewieA
Explorer

Thanks, tried it and seems to work, much appreciated.

Bit of a faff though having to do this everyday! I wonder if there is a permanent solution that anyone has figured out? 

profile.country.GB.title
PeteSinc
Explorer

I have also encountered the same issue this week. IPlayer is the only player affected so I contacted the BBC but they said it was a Sony issue. I fully expect Sony to say it’s an IPlayer/Youview issue.

profile.country.GB.title
ShewieA
Explorer

Glad I'm not the only one to have this problem. It still keeps refusing to work. Have you contacted Sony about it?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

For the cheapest and most cost-effective upgrade you will ever make to a ‘smart’ Sony TV, old or new, shell out £29.99 for a Roku Express 4K, the price this item is currently on offer at, plug it into your TV, and use that for your smart apps.

It will be faster.

it will provide the options to watch live TV that the standard broadcaster apps don’t.

It will overcome all this nonsense with whether and where apps show up after the latest Sony release.

It will avoid all the nonsense with the broadcaster apps needing the TV tuned in, on the older Android sets.

It will provide a plethora of further apps that Sony and YouView can only dream of.

It will need one of your HDMI inputs, a small downside if these are currently maxed out.

Type ‘Roku Express 4K’ into Google, and make your choice of retailer.

Don’t go for the cheaper plain Roku Express, even if you only have an HD TV. This only saves you a fiver over the 4K one, which is a superior device in other ways than just the 4K, and will anyway adapt itself to work perfectly with an HD-only device.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
PeteSinc
Explorer

I've contacted Sony Support but not had a response yet. I will let you know what they say once they do respond.

profile.country.GB.title
PeteSinc
Explorer

Thanks, I'll see what Sony come back first but will definitely have a look at Roku Express too.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey

You can also try opening BBC iPlayer from within the Live TV and Catchup app and it should work fine.

profile.country.GB.title
PeteSinc
Explorer

Sony support have responded to my support call with some suggestions (see below).

I've completed steps 1-7 and BBC iPlayer seems to be working again. Hope this works for you too !

Sony Support Response....

If the issue remains, please follow the below steps:
1. Check that the software version on the TV is up-to-date.
2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the TV, including the Arial/Satellite.
3. Unplug the TV from the mains and plug it back in after 2 minutes.
4. Disable live TV and catchup and enable it again by following the below steps:
Press on (Home > Settings > Apps > see all apps - live TV and catchup - Disable live TV and catchup and enable it again).
5. Clear cache and data and force stop the live TV and catchup.
Press on (Home - Settings, Apps, see all apps - live TV and catchup)
6. Check that the live TV and catchup app is updated to the latest version.
Open the Google Play Store, search for the Live TV and catchup app, check if there are any updates, and update the App.
7. Clear Cached Data & Reboot the Television:
[Home] - [Settings] — [System] - [storage] - [internal shared storage] - [cached data] - [clear data]
8. Connect your TV to another internet source. For instance, in Hotspot on your smartphone, go Home > Settings > Network and internet.
9. Apply the factory data reset to the TV using the following link:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00274122
Initial Setup: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors/articles/00122502

If the issue remains, kindly reply to the below questions to be able to escalate the issue and investigate further:
1. What is the device ID? Help > Status and Diagnostics > System Information.
2. What is the current firmware installed on the device? Please provide the exact version.
3. Is it happening only with BBC iPlayer app , or does it happen with any other applications?
4. Does the issue occur with other pre-installed applications?
5. What is the live TV and catchup app version? Open Home - Settings - Apps - See All Apps, Highlight Live TV and Catchup, and check the app version.
6. How often does the issue occur?
7. When did the issue start?
8. What feature were you using when the issue happened?
9. Was the device working fine before?
10. What is the MAC Address? [Home] - [Settings] — [Network & Internet]—[Network Status].
11. What is your postal Code?
12. What is the internal device's IP Address? [Home] - [Settings] — [Network & Internet]—[Network Status].
13. What is the public IP address when visiting www.whatismyip.com?
14. What is the internet Service Provider Name?
15. What is the actual internet speed using www.speedtest.net ?
16. What is the network environment, i.e., FTTH or broadband?
You may refer back to the internet service provider for further assistance.
17. Are you using a VPN, proxy, anonymize, or TOR service to access the internet?
You may refer back to the internet service provider for further assistance.
18. What is the brand and model of the router?
19. What are the results of connecting your TV with your personal hotspot?
20. How is your TV connected to the internet? Wired or Wireless?
21. If your TV is connected wirelessly, is it possible to connect your TV using a wired connection and to reply with the outcome?
22. Can we have a video showing the issue?