Join now - be part of our community!

Built In WiFi problem

SOLVED

Built In WiFi problem

I have a Sony Bravia 55xe8396b TV bought just over a year ago and suddenly seem to be having a major issue with the WiFi on it. 

Since getting the TV  we've had multiple occasions where the WiFi has dropped and we've been unable to reconnect at the time, however usually a few days later the issue has sorted itself and we've been able to continue as usual. About 4 months ago, I reset the internet connection with the TV to the WPS setting and since then we've had no problems at all. 

Until Thursday, I went to watch Netflix and got a message to say the TV wasn't connected to the internet. When I went back to the home screen and to the settings, I noticed the WiFi button was in the off position. I tried to turn it back on but it keeps flicking straight back to the off position. 

I'm now in the process of factory resetting the TV to see if that helps, but for a TV a little over a year old, we didn't anticipate having these problems. A quick google search shows that a lot of people have issues with the internet connection on Sony TVs, so I think this might be our last one if we can't rectify the issue. 

Has anyone else had this same issue or something similar? I'm not sure what else to try! 

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

Bt home hubs users, do this before posting again 🤣

Go to URL on browser (pc iPad phone whatever).
Enter:

Enter password, if you never changed it , you will find on the back of your
homehub.

Advanced settings

Enter password , found in same place as above.

Wireless

Find Separate bands and change to ON

You will now have two networks, the new one will probably have a suffix of

Save

Now go to your lovely Sony TV, home / network / network network setup /
Easy / WiFi

Now select your network yournetworknane-5 and enter the same wireless
password.

You will now be connected to the 5ghz side of your network and all the
messages about network dropping off should disappear.

Please, please, please do this.

No excuses, we all got time on our hands at the moment.

Stay safe !
profile.country.SE.title
Melker.Y
Explorer

Hello!

Thank you for the advice!

I recently bought a KD65XG8577 (3 days ago).

On the first day i had no problem connecting to my wi-fi (mobile broadband), watched a movie.

Great picture btw!

Next day i had a problem connecting, tried resetting buy "forgetting" the wi-fi name, typed it in manually a couple of times and then it worked.

Had to try a hard reset as ive also read about, then it worked and watched another movie.

Which brings us to today, tried putting in the name manually for 2.4 and 5g, same password for both; nothing happens...It just says connecting and continues searching.

I've read the thread in the community and tried just about everything but no luck...

I also tried the solution you suggested but doesnt work.

Ive noticed that there is a softwareupdate avaliable but i dont have a laptop to download it and update via USB, would've used wifi to get it but yeah, catch 22!

Sorry for the long post!

Best regards

profile.country.GB.title
mhaselden

Did you setup your router for 5ghz first?
profile.country.SE.title
Melker.Y
Explorer

Thanks for the reply!

Standard is 2.4, but ive tried connecting via both bandwidths; doesnt work.

Have you had the same problem?

premvic_21
Explorer

is there a latest update on this? I had the same issue 1 month after buying the TV. Sony sent out a service person who replaced the wifi module. The problem has re occured 3 weeks later. I suspect this is a software issue and not a hardware issue. Does anyone have any other tips? Very disappointing given everything else in the TV is fine. Also I notice the TV does not respond very well to the remote whenever this problem occurs. This is why I strongly suspect a software issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
glynnl4umb

There is now a new problem solver for this on the Help button on your
remote. Simply press Help on remote and select 'How to solve Network not
connected error message'. Haven't had to do this myself as after last
update, the problem has gone away. My current software is:
PKG6.6555.0257EUA (visible on top right of screen after pressing Help
button on remote. Good Luck. Let me know if it works!
profile.country.GB.title
renobeth
Explorer

This worked for me also.  Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Doug3000
Explorer

MY TV is working better now. Every now and again it starts thinking.

The TV didn't like the WiFi extender I was using. I turned it off and the
TV started working directly to the router. It seemed fine. After a few
weeks I turned the extender back on. That too is working fine.

I don't think my TV liked working to the Extender. I think it is locked
directly into the router now.

Doug

[Edited for privacy]

profile.country.GB.title
russian_peacemaker
Explorer

Try to remove all ticks like "network tyme", "operator time", etc. (I don't remember exact naming) at the Date & Time Settings of your Android TV. Also check if set date and time are correct. It worked good for me.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@russian_peacemaker 

Sony’s published advice for this problem is here:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/how-to-solve-network-not-connected-erro...

That directly contradicts your advice to turn off Network Time.

What time is your TV running on, with all the time servers turned off? I believe this will only work for you until whatever time that is drifts, or jumps, out of sync with Network Time.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…