Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
discard08
Explorer

I also suffer this from this hideous malady.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Suffering badly from the dimming during the world cup, making viewing almost unwatchable on a flagship product!

Very disappointed! Waiting a long time for DV then when it comes along Sony breaks an almost perfect product! I rather lose DV and have the dimming gone.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

If the picture becomes darker after a while then the light sensor has a problem. There is possibly failure to be disabled through software, if provided pulse voltage by same software is not the right one. Darkening also means very low sensitivity on room light and the cause could also be the wrong voltage received by software.

There are two things someone can try to check:

a. Add a thick black cloth in front of the light sensor and cover around it so that no light can go through. Then adjust manually brightness and contrast to proper level.

b. Add a permanent strong light source in front of the sensor so that the low sensitivity sensor might increase picture brightness level.

Adding a thick black cloth is also a method to check in general if the Light sensor is operating normally.

Your issue is definitely a wrong software voltage issue. Either on Light Sensor or whether on Tcon board given voltages.

profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd66

I feel your pain Scramz. It is absolutely ridiculious that customers spending so much on high end products can be treated this way. Is it the A1 or AF8 you have, as a matter of interest? I was about to buythe AF8 until I heard about the dimming issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Hi, thank you for your help, however, this has nothing to do with the light senor, this is due to the aggressive ASBL in PKG6.2858.0082 software update that is causing this issue. The dimming happens with the senor function disabled.

I am finding it difficult to understand why Sony can not just roll it back for the time being as it is shocking! 

No longer the product I purchased.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

I have the A1, a friend of mine has the A8 and he also has the same issue. Renders football unwatchable. 

profile.country.GB.title
kordwangler
Explorer

I have a Roku 4K streaming stick providing the iPlayer UHD signal to my KD-55A1 for world cup games.  The stadiums seem to have lots of spectator seats in direct sunlight and the pitches are in the shade and the HDR tries to accommodate both so the shaded pitches are dim to start with, but watchable.  When the Sony 'feature' kicks in and dims the screen even more - usually 5 minutes after kick-off - the dark areas where the football is taking place are a pain to watch.

Twenty minutes into the England game 'the feature' threw a wobbler and for about 2 minutes it couldn't decide weather to lighten the screen or keep it dimmed - it ping - ponged up and down, light then dim, until eventually permanently dimming again.

I ended up turning the HDR off, which helped lighten the screen, and just made do with the UHD part of the broadcast.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

How did you turn HDR off and retain 4k? 

Ignore I did it

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

So I have watched the BBC 4K HDR test loop with football, no issues with dimming. As where on the live feed it does. The only different between them is the static score and team box on the screen on alive feed. The issue must be from ASBL due to the small static image. 

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

I totally agree, the World Cup for many of us has been ruined by this issue. It is evident from other forums that many A8 owners are also experiencing the same problem here and in the US. As a cover up, a modified on the 14/05/2018 Article ID:00173749 https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173465 has been issued but personally has made no difference, indeed it has made the screen dimmer than it was before.

This issue and inability to view BBC Ultra HD World Cup trial on Sony's flagship model is turning out to be a similarity to the VW Dieselgate scandal. We purchased the almost perfect set only to find that the manufacturer without forewarning trashed the software and ruined the tv. To make matters worst, they are in complete denial stating that it is not a fault as it is a feature to reduce image retention.

This severity of this feature was not in evidence until the software update, this is not the set I purchased new and enjoyed for 3 months. Sony should act honourable, admit that there is a issue and state that it will be fixed within a given time-frame. A failure to give any assurance will I am sure justifiably result in demands for refunds and returns.