Join now - be part of our community!

How to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

How to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers

Hello. On my Sony TV KD-32W800 I am unable to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers. Bluetooth  and optical connections switch off loudspeakers.

Is there a way to have sound on both headphones and loudspeakers ? Maybe by using an HDMI ARC to RCA converter ?

The Sony support explains a solution but it does not apply to my Sony TV.

Thanks for answers

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

As far as I know, the only way any modern Sony TV will do audio out without muting the speakers is via optical. You have been told by Sony this won’t work, and you have had to accept that without trying it.

But the thing to know is that there is nothing sitting on the optical connection that will switch this (unlike, say, ARC, where there are intelligent handshakes).

So if anything on the TV is going to switch off the internal speakers when you select Optical, then it’s going to be something connected with that selection. i.e., you can try this on the TV without needing to connect anything to the Optical output.

So if you select Optical, and the internal speakers stop, then Sony are right, and I have no other solution to offer you apart from the soundbar possibility.

But if they don’t stop, then it looks like optical might be the solution. You’ll need an optical to analogue converter to use RF headphones, or you could use an optical to Bluetooth converter/transmitter and Bluetooth headphones; as this Bluetooth connection would be independent of the TV, it would not affect the TV speakers.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey f6dqm1, as per the article I shared your TV does not support this feature, it's not within the applicable models, this is what I was trying to say. 

Regarding the adapters, it's not guaranteed they'll work or override the TV's system. 

profile.country.GB.title
kendalwilliams
Explorer

First, you need to check if your device really allows you to get the sound on both headphones and loudspeaker at the same time. After that, use the splitter cable to add the loudspeaker and headphones to your TV. Also, you can make the settings changes by pressing the Settings button on the remote. Then, move to the Speakers option and select the Audio System option. In addition, you can connect your headphones via Bluetooth connection, too, if you want.
Thankyou

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

I have just bought an optical to RCA/3.5" adapter. When I have received it and I have tried it, I will report. See you later.

profile.country.GB.title
Sunnygrove
New

I have just connected a soundbar via the optical outlet on my Bravia OLED 55 tv.

The tv speakers can still be used at the same time if you want to.

You just reduce the volume on either to suit.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you aware that in this way you are sending only stereo signal to the soundbar  in this way and that the TV speaker cannot be fully synchronized with the soundbar so in the end you are getting a worse result than using the soundbar alone?

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

I just received and connected an AMANKA 192kHz DAC Converter (made in China).

Optical connection between the TV and the DAC.

Headphones connected to the 3.5" output of the DAC.

In the Bravia TV, TV speakers set to "connected", digital output set to PCM.

And I have sound on both TV speakers and headphones.

The AMANKA DAC has its own volume control, then I can set the headphones volume to fit my ears while my wife sets the TV speakers volume to her usual low volume.

It seems that there is a littlle latence between decoded audio and image. Not a problem when watching sports but I can notice it when watching a film or news.

The audio settings of the TV speakers do not apply to the digital output. That means no balance, no trebble, no bass settings on the headphones but OK, we will see after some weeks of utilisation.

I just hope that this chineese product will last a few weeks !!!!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb 

It’s perfectly possible to pass 5.1 over Optical. Maybe only what ARC would pass, and it isn’t up to eARC standards, but doable.

Or are you saying this is a Sony limitation, despite the S in S/PDIF?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

Good for you!

As I suspected, Sony were wrong about this not working.

But as you have found, the optical signal is sent ‘flat’, and if you want to adjust balance, treble and bass, then you will need a small headphone amplifier between DAC and headphones. This should not affect the latency any further.

I’m sure the Chinese make one of these also 😛

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@royabrown2 not when leaving on TV speakers. In that case on Sony's TV (and I think any other brand) only 2.0 stereo channel are passed through