Join now - be part of our community!

Latest firmware update has bricked my KD49XE9005

cordyk
New

Latest firmware update has bricked my KD49XE9005

Please help!

This morning my Tv automatically began to update...now its stuck in continual restart loop, i have tried everything advised even a forced factory reset.   

Even the factory reset keeps restarting while you try to reset, its doing my head in....and completely putting me off buying another Sony TV 😞

9 REPLIES 9

Latest firmware on my KD-55XE8596 has killed my 3yr old tv, it was constantly crashing afterwards and rebooting until the point where I think it’s blown the power board as now it clicks ‘on’ but has no illumination the the screen (checked using a torch). After the update the hdmi channels kept flickering with what looked like a huge white bars code across the screen at various heights, got worse over a few days with this and the crashing until it completely died. Tv is just 3yrs old. Not a happy customer and first Sony tv. It’ll be the last.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Luckily my XE9005 seems to have done this in the background with no intervention from me.

You could try manually forcing a update for the firmware from a USB. Stick.

Instructions and file here;

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-55xe9005/download...

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi Cordyk,

At this point i would recommend contacting Sony team as this unit should be inspected by engineers.

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

IMG_2037.jpeg

100% same thing happened to me. 

Contacted Sony. They will not offer me a repair. All they are happy to do is send me a link to a repair centre miles away (which would all be paid for by me, even though it’s a faulty product caused by their faulty software offering)

This way they can wash their hands of any fault/ blame/ guilt. 

How did you fix the issue?

I am seriously considering packing this up, which is a shame as when it works, it’s really good TV, but it’s too intermittent to watch a movie as it’ll crash and reboot at a whim. 

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Fab3rge, sorry for you, it seems really frustrating! I'm afraid the only way to fix it is a forced factory reset. If you've already tried that, then the only solution would be a physical repair as it seems to be a hardware related issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

After several years of trying to fix this TV, I worked out that it will work so long as you turn off HDR. 
I can’t believe I got conned by Sony’s advertisement that this is a HDR ready TV. The HDR works fine when you demo test it, but as soon as you try to play any content (Apple TV, PS5… ) it reverts back to reboot loop. 

Very much looking forward to the release of the new LG TVs this year - will not touch another Sony TV after the awful service they have given me regarding this issue (they tried to gaslight me into thinking the TV does work with HDR and tried to make me feel like I was wrong - I know when a TV is faulty!) 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Fab3rge, what you're describing is not normal by the way, however, try updating to this version: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-49xe9005/software...

Also, since it's random, not continuous rebooting, does it happen every single time you turn HDR on?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

How do you disable HDR on the XE? I found it auto enables when HDR content is detected and I couldn't see a way to manually disable HDR.

It's one of my big bears.

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hi @stormyuk 

It's normal that the TV will activate HDR automatically when HDR content is being played. I don't think that this can be disabled.