Join now - be part of our community!

screen covered in oily film.

profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

screen covered in oily film.

Hi all, 

I recently brought a SONY BRAVIA KD49XD7005 49 inch 4K Ultra HD tv.

It is only a week old, but I came home today and my wife had decided to clean the tv, disaster.

She used a proper screen cleaner but now the screen is covered with an oil like film that I just cannot remove, all that seems to happen is just moving it around.

I have tried different screen cleaning products and clean micro fibre clothes even warm water but just cannot shift it.

The whole screen is ruined by this oily film and when watching you can see it on any dark areas of the screen.

I think that some sort of protective coating has been damaged but I have never seen this with all the other lcd tv's I have owned.

I'm clutching at straws to try and save a brand new tv any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Considering that you are up the creek here, and assuming that nothing has been perminantly damaged - i recommend this product:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-Laptop-Computer-Screen-Cleaning/dp/B000MMLOM4/

I use it very sparingly on my TVs over the last few years to remove stubbon marks/spots that a bit of elbow grease + micro fibre cloth doesnt move.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

thanks for the reply,

that looks a lot like one of the cleaners i've already tried but thanks for the suggestion.

After doing a bit of reading I'm wondering if it's the antiglare coating thats been damaged.

Can anyone tell me, if I dilute a bit of white vinegar in warm distilled water  will I do even more damage or is it worth a try.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Vinegar is an acid, and the manual for the TV says not to use acid.

It's well worth a read of the relevant paragraph about cleaning the TV, particularly its screen.

AAMOI, what did your wife use on it?

i used to like it when screens were glass, or behind glass at least - you knew where you were then 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

she used a proper screen cleaner that we had used on our old lcd tv so not really her fault.

I have made some progress though, I just bit the bullet and mixed a small amount of white vinegar in a bowl of distilled water dampened a cloth and wiped over then wiped off with a dry cloth straight away.

After I'd done that it looked really bad but then I went at it with a soft cotton cloth and just kept gently going over and over and over it. After about 30 mins it stopped looking like I was just spreading it around and actually started to clean up. Fast forward another hour and it looked like a normal telly that had been badly cleaned.

So I think another couple of good cleaning sessions with a good clean cotton cloth and I might be there, it's watchable now so much so you can only really see any smudges/marks when the screen is off.

profile.country.GB.title
CoMmAndrX
New

The same issue on my 4 month old 50 inch, used the cleaner I've been using on flat screens for years with no issues. So there is an oily film from the factory. Maybe a release agent for the protective film installed at the factory. But whatever it is, it will not come off!

I've used this cleaner on Glossy/Matte/Glass LCD/Plasma screens with never a smudge or streak left behind.