Join now - be part of our community!

Totally Disable and Remove Google from my Bravia TV

Totally Disable and Remove Google from my Bravia TV

How can I TOTALLY remove Google from my Sony Bravia Ultra HD 4K smart TV? (XBR-55X81XCH)

No one told me when I bought the TV that Google was permanently installed in this TV and I could not set the TV up unless I activated a Google account in order to use the TV. The package does not indicate that this can not be used without Google. As the owner of this product I was not informed. I am very upset about it. Google also has a listening device called Google assist that can not be turned off even when the power is switched off. I tested it and it is running in the background. Its the evil version of Alexa. At least with Alexa you know what you have. But Google assist is listening to you when you think the tv is off... F- No- thank you! I need this app gone! Not disabled, GONE. Does anyone know how to do this?

10 REPLIES 10
MrLawson
New

Knowing this now, through your post on the subject, will prevent me buying a Sony Bravia TV in the future.  Can you please update your post if you do find a way to get rid of it?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Privacy-NotControl,

you can switch to the "apps only" mode:

https://support.google.com/googletv/answer/10070784?hl=en

That also deactivates Google Assistant.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
KyaMarley75
Explorer

100% Agree With You. My KD-X55XH8196 Was Andriod OS Absolutely Fantasic, Since The Screen Got Damaged Insurance Replaced With KD-55X81J Which Is Google Proper Hate It If A Knew Then What I Know Now Wouldn't Of Accepted It. XH81 No Problems At All Worked Flawlessly But This Google Tele Removes My Sideladed Apps & The Pre Installed Apps If I Cant Uninstall I Disabled Only For Them To Reappear. Bugs My Life... Am Even Debating To Create A New Gmail Account Just For The Tele Or Lookin For A Tv Launcher Which Wil Force Stop And Permanently Disable Google Apps. I've Got 1 On My Firestick Great Stuff, Looking Into Adding It On The Teley, The Amount Of Factory Resets Is No Ones Business Lol But Since Having Tele 3months 5 Factory Resets. Wouldn't But The X81J 

profile.country.GB.title
got2avekayanow
Explorer

Yeah, I'm with you all the way, bought a TV which I understood had google on it but didn't understand I had to use a google account to use it (I think you can use it without google but to get all advertised functionality you need google [though I am still learning about it so maybe there's hope]). Also has a youview epg but have reverted to the sony epg.

I have all the apps I need on my phone and PC, in fact many more than I need. I just want a telly with all digital channels, a fast epg and the ability to record. I understand it's a different time with coonectivity galore but to me it's an invasion, they've now taken over the living room. It used to be optional but now they're in virtually everything and privacy is a thing of the past

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I'd recommend doing a factory reset and in the setup process, skip the Google account setup. 

That basically will make the TV a normal one without Android 

The Factory reset does not help long term either. It will eventually come back to the GTV menu. usually when you try to add a Steaming device or Soundbar via HDMI

Sony FBAR' d the  BRAVIA which was a GREAT product, unit they added GTV. They should have left it Android only.

Kimobring
Explorer

I totally agree.

Kimobring
Explorer

TV picture quality and sound is good. Sadly, Google spoils this. You can set up the tv without a Google account, but lots of apps won't work as a result and you won't be able to cast. However, once Google is enabled it doesn't power the tv in the background, it dominates the tv. If you disable it, you lose certain functions. I set the tv to open on the last viewed channel when powering on, not Google home page...but guess what? Sometimes when powering on I have to go through all the Google policy pages and agree or disagree. Google certainly spoils a really good Sony Bravia tv.
Also, you won't be able to watch ITVX on the Sony BRAVIA KD-43X75WL, it doesn't support it. You will have to cast ITVX from your smart phone, and guess what? Yes, you will require Google to be enabled to do it.
Overall, it's not worth the money and I would advise anyone to avoid it. Just find a stand alone Sony Bravia tv without Google or another brand.

profile.country.GB.title
AnneTV
Explorer

Just as a matter of interest, how did you reinstall the Sony starter page (I take it that is like the Sony homepage with a few apps on it?).  I have a new Sony and tried going on Google but it threw me off and I also have such a long google email address that it is impossible to enter it with the tv keyboard.   I have now got you view as my first page when I put the telly on and I use Sky+box for a lot of viewing and recording.