Join now - be part of our community!

usb uhd 4k playback

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

usb uhd 4k playback

wonder if anyone can help me im going to download some 4k hdr movies to a 1tb harddrive will my x930e play these back in 4k hdr or do i need a specific app etc?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi benjy86,

You can find more details on how to view 4K and HDR here.

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

It should be no problem with the video playing with the native app. However if the sound is more than 5.1 channel, there will be no sound. I don't know why, but the app can't output 7.1.

In this case, you need to download Kodi player from the app store. 

This is an issue maybe on my TV (I have a 49xd83 2016 model), but I believe both have the same stuff inside. Let me know when you tried.

profile.country.GB.title
bittihuduga
Explorer

i have some 4k UHD movies (H.265)

some play without any issues but some of them breaks while playing.

tried with native player, vlc and kodi. not much different.

also with sound 5.1 is ok.

but if movie has atmos track in it, then it wont passthrough to my AVR.(AVR is atmos) even on kodi

i am not sure with 7.1 though.

btw i have XE90

edit: forgot to mention, while playing a movie if want to check if its HDR i cant.

eg while movie is playing, if i press picture setting to check HDR, movie is stopped.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you aware that no HDMI arc connection is able to pass through Atmos or lossless tracks to avr? Simply is not supported on HDMI 2.0. 

profile.country.GB.title
bittihuduga
Explorer

ah. thanks for clarification about atmos passthrough. i was guessing that.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hdmi eArc specification will be implemented on HDMI 2.1 next year and will allow for that... but than you'll have to replace both your tv and avr....
profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

To bittihuduga:

That is true. No atmos passthrough, but at least you get some compressed sound. With the native video app it is impossible. There is no sound at all, even on tv speakers. I hope they will fix this soon with a software update. 

About Kodi: Yes, as soon as you hit the picture settings, the movie stops. There is another video player app called SPMC. Same as KODI but quicker. And no annoying features, like this. You can open picture settings whenever you want. 

profile.country.GB.title
bittihuduga
Explorer

thanks for the reply.

i started using spmc now on tv

looks like tv does not passthrough via arc if sound is DTS HD Master audio

normal 5.1 dts works fine with passthrough