Join now - be part of our community!

Various issues with KDL-50W755C Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
Colinmh23
Explorer

Various issues with KDL-50W755C Android TV

Hello all - new here so I hope you can help!

Just purchased this TV but it doesn't appear to support Skype....there is no app installed or available in the store....? It was only manufactured in November and has the latest software update downloaded too.

Also the voice search always returns 'sorry, didn't get that' - is there a way of changing the microphone sensitivity? Do I need to shout at the TV 🙂 ?

Can the Opera Web Browser be tweaked to start up on Google's homepage rather than a Sony one? Are there better browsers to try?

Thanks in advance. Overall I'm impressed but really want to get the most out of this Smart TV.

Colin

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately there is no Skype app for the Android TV platform.  It is unknown if or when it will be available.

In regards to voice search, i find using the TV Sideview app on my tablet helps a bit.  You could purchase Sonys touchpad remote control - which has an inbuilt microphone - RMF-TX100E

I have managed to use Google Chrome, by downloading this via the opera web browser from googles main play store.  You will also need to install TV SideLoad Launcher to run the Chrome Browser via the TV.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Colinmh23
Explorer

Quinnicus, thank you so much for your helpful reply.

Shame about Skype; I'll just have to stick to the tablet version.

The side view app does indeed help with voice searching but as the tablet is already in my hand I might as well just type!

I'll try google chrome as you suggest. I've managed to install various apk's via USB as the Google Play Store seems quite limited (Amazon Music runs fine for example as does the Amazon App Store) but didn't know Chrome was officially supported so thank you.

Any further suggestions to get the most out of Android TV?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Uppdaterad