Join now - be part of our community!

Youview awful experience

profile.country.GB.title
LGTS1962
Explorer

Youview awful experience

I recently installed a software update which forced YouView onto my Sony Bravia XR OLED A84J TV. The performance and experience of YouView was awful so I reset my TV to get it back to SONY factory settings and how I had purchased it. I then could not use apps such as ITV hub, all 4 etc. I contacted SONY and they explained that "these applications are part of YouView so sadly you cannot just have one without the other as its part of how they all work together"

So, I could have this wrong but SONY are forcing YouView onto my TV that reduces the performance and customer experience, and I have no say in this? You either have YouView or you cannot use the apps?

I purchased the TV with NO YouView installed and I could use the apps, so why are you forcing this onto a customer that doesn't want it?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

If Youview is installed then you do not have to use it as you can use digital (terrestrial) TV or Freesat TV.

profile.country.GB.title
LGTS1962
Explorer

Thank you for the reply, but the problem I have is that now I have removed YouView, It does not allow me to use certain apps..ITV hub etc 

profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

Reinstall Youview and then ignore the Youview app. 

profile.country.GB.title
LGTS1962
Explorer

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately you cannot do that. The update forces YouView onto the TV and you can only watch the TV through YouView. YouView is awful and reduces the performance of the TV.  I called Sony and they told me I can only use apps such as ITV hub, All4 etc if I install YouView. Really disappointing as can’t understand why Sony are forcing this onto the TV when it reduces the performance and the experience. I can’t use the TV as I purchased it, Sony format and the use of the apps.

profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

I have the Sony XR-55A80J and I can use the TV in exactly the same way after Youview was installed as before Youview was installed except that I now have the catch-up apps, which can be accessed without using the Youview app (although it has to be installed). If your TV is going to Youview when you press TV on the remote then you need to change the settings so that it goes to Digital. You need to figure out how the TV works.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I think I understand where the op is coming from as this infuriates me as well. You need YouView enabled to use ITVHub etc (but not iPlayer). The problem is that YouView reduces the responsiveness of the TV dramatically. Without it and it instantly responds to all commands from the moment it is powered on whereas with YouView enabled and its very slow initially, like a PC booting up.

Without You View you can change channels instantly, one to another to another to another. With YouView you have to wait around 20 seconds before a direct channel change is accepted. If you don't wait you have to enter the channel and then press 'enter' to force the change. It is infuriating.

You also can not just toggle it off and on when needed because then you have to jump through all the hoops of accepting the conditions and re entering all the credentials for the apps you want to use like ITV Hub.         

profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

A Dummies to Avoiding Youview on 2021 Sony TVs with Youview installed so that you can use the catch-up apps!

First, go to Settings > Channels and Inputs > TV Button Shortcut > Digital > TV (not Live TV and Catch Up, which is Youview).

Second, go to Home > Your Apps > See All - you can now move (long press of OK on the remote) the catch-up apps to the top so that they appear on the Home screen, and you can move the Youview app.

profile.country.GB.title
LGTS1962
Explorer

Thank you for reply, really appreciate it

profile.country.GB.title
LGTS1962
Explorer

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it