Join now - be part of our community!

HT ST5000 Soundbar

profile.country.GB.title
margaze
Explorer

HT ST5000 Soundbar

Any body having sound cutting out issues? 

Any Dolby input causes the sound to cut out after a random amount of time (2 minutes up to even an hour, but it happens every time).

1. Whether the input in HDMI or optical it still occurs. 

2. Sony 4K player input - occurs

3. Sky Q input - occurs

4. LPCM input from apps, etc. - OK

5. The TV is a KD65A1

6. HDMI/optical cables are soundstrom

7. Sound always comes back if the power of the soundbar or TV is recycled. 

8 Sound always come back if a LPCM channel is selected on Sky (eg. Radio channel). 

Sony have failed to repair it under warranty & then attempted to repair the TV. Fault is still there. 

This has been going on since I bought the soundbar & now it’s over 1 year old Sony are refusing to honour their warranty! How is that right!!

I’m wishing I’d gone for a dedicated amp setup now. 

I just want it fixed, so maybe someone else has experience with this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
margaze
Explorer

Sony finally agreed to accept the TV & Soundbar together as a warranty repair. Today the independent repair engineer appointed by Sony arrived and witnessed the sound cutting out. He immediately checked all the settings & agreed the soundbar was at fault and said he would order a new board for it (not sure what one). So he took the soundbar away & hopefully it will be returned in a functioning condition! I will post again on its return. 

profile.country.GB.title
Safontan
Explorer

Good news. I m happy for you. In the meantime I got a Sony htzf9 soundbar + wireless rear speaker and for 2 days they are working just fine!

profile.country.GB.title
JamesGBeaumont
Explorer

I have the same problem. I bought mine in late 2017, and it was fine up until a few months ago. Now the sound stops up to twice an hour - though sometimes I can watch a 2 hour movie without issue. When the sound stops, stopping and resuming playback is enough to get it working again. I have only noticed the issue with Dolby Digital soundtracks, and get it either using an Apple TV 4K (connected directly to the soundbar with HDMI or connected via eARC through a 2019 LG C9 OLED TV) or using the TV’s built-in apps over HDMI/eARC.

I contacted Sony, and they advised first a reset of the soundbar and then to contact an local authorised Sony service centre. No joy with either of those options - the reset didn’t help, and the service centres have no idea what is causing it.

Does anyone have a suggestion? It’s a great soundbar, but this is really annoying and given what it cost me I really would like it working again.

profile.country.GB.title
margaze
Explorer

Well, after Sony agreed to treat the fault as a combined TV/Soundbar fault.....They are yet again refusing to do the repair now that the independent repairers have said it is the soundbar at fault. So, back to the beginning with a soundbar unfit for purpose and out of warranty because Sony have failed to repair it after nearly 18 months- bear in mind this fault was reported within weeks of its purchase. They leave me with no option other than legal action against them. Needless to say I shall not be buying Sony products again! Very poor support. Strange how the only people to say the soundbar is OK is Sony itself - 2 other independant repairers have said it is a faulty soundbar. I am very angry about this, it isn’t a cheap item - £1500 to buy.