Join now - be part of our community!

RDR HXD 790 machine and remote frozen/unresponsive after “Replay” or “Advance” title on HDD.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
liketv

RDR HXD 790 machine and remote frozen/unresponsive after “Replay” or “Advance” title on HDD.

Hi, while watching a title from the HDD (not a dvd disc), I wanted to go back to replay the previous minute. It stuck at saying “Replay 0m05s” on my TV screen; the remote and the machine are unresponsive.  The title carried on playing until the end; the display on the front of the RDR HXD says “…… :58:79”(the title was just under an hour).

This also happened a few days ago, when forwarding a title – “advance”. After it finished playing the title, “Advance 1m 30s” remained showing on my TV screen, and “……:59:59” remained showing on the RDR HXD display. After a couple of hours I resorted to holding the power button until it turned off, then turned off at the socket, waited a minute, then turned it on again. The Sony went into “Repairing the HDD” mode, and all was well for a few days.

Please can you suggest anything else – I’m worried that I’ll lose the titles on the HDD?

Thanks in advance for any help.

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

They are fantastic machines, I agree. Mine gets used (or hammered as we time shift everything) and probably runs for 5 or 6 hours a day. There is a 'hidden' Super HQ record mode in the menu which gives that little bit extra quality that is worthwhile on larger screen sizes. The editing facilities are superb, nothing else comes close. 

The two downsides to these oldies are that they are none HD and also that they can not receive the latest  DVB-T2 multiplex transmissions such as the Smithsonian Channel (and others) which also need an HD compatible device.

The Sony Android TV I have allows an HDD to be connected and used for recording but it is BASIC in its abilities as it records only between the set programme times (no program delivery option to start recording when the programme starts) and the play/record/forward/reverse functions are all you get. It is slightly buggy in operation as well. 

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge and understanding, but surely a similar machine could be produced that has the HD and other capabilities you mention, that still has all the great features of the RDRHXD? 

Obviously, it would be more expensive, but there would be still be lots of people that would buy it, in my opinion. Then again, maybe not – perhaps I’m just too old-fashioned?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sony does it (as well integrating a BD recorder instead of the dying DVD tray) but only in Japan https://www.amazon.com/Blu-ray-recorder-500GB-BDZ-EW510-Japan/dp/B00G91GDSC

In europe I already wrote the link to Panasonic devices, and yes they are quite expensive.

It seems like there is not enough market for the in Europe given also the way the broadcasting is also changing (more and more new streaming services are getting market share - and no one could record from those since it is illegal). Just my guess. I really appreciate the way you could edit the recording and automaticaly skipping the advertising or even create your own DVD from the recording and use it wherever you want (maybe this is one of the reasons they do not want you to use it :wink: ). Nonetheless there should be less fancy PVR out there in the market that via some commercial workaround (i.e. they do not have an HDD already present in the chassis - so they are not actually capable of recording when shipped, but you can add it lately and easily but under your responsibility) are cheaper and more flexible (i.e. you can export the recording)

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Rooobb – thanks for that link the other day, but from what I read about them, and the reviews, and also what a friend of mine says about some Panasonics she’s got, they don’t have all the features and inputs that I want/need. They are also not terribly reliable any more, and not as easy and intuitive to use. (I used to like them many years ago).

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not have direct experience with them but on the fact sheet they seems good enough.
Keep in mind also the the successor of the rdrhxd machine (rdrdc series) were fairly worst than them and lack a lot of feature. 
IMHO probably the rdrhxd were too much user oriented against what is the major film company and broadcast interest :wink:
profile.country.GB.title
liketv

Ah, yes, that makes sense, and is probably the reason!

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I have wondered what these are like:

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/dtr-t2000/

This link has the operating instructions (right hand side of page). I might investigate this myself...

https://cpc.farnell.com/humax/dtr-t2000-1tb/youview-hd-recorder-1tb/dp/AP03395

I must admit I haven't really looked that hard for replacements for the Sony as it performs pretty much faultlessly for my needs. I was also really really lucky and managed to get a second machine on Ebay, yes you take a chance but this one was obviously a private sale from the wording of the ad and it was from a smoke and pet free home. I couldn't believe I won and got it for about £60. It was in absolute pristine condition and even the internals were extremely clean showing that it had seen very very little use.