Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Yes I quite agree, Viera's are top quality where picture is concerned. They don't win 'Which Best Buy Awards' for nothing!

I was thinking about this problem earlier today and wonder if you have tried changing the output on the Rx (DN1040) before switching it off??

According to the manual the unit reverts to the last output setting, i.e. if it was last output to DVD it will automatically be set to DVD when you next power it up.

I'm going to retest this myself and leave it set to TV when I next turn it off and see if your method works then.

Stay tuned...

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

As an update to my previous message, with the Viera Link disabled on my Panasonic DVD / HDD Recorder I set the output on the DN1040 to TV, I then switched everything off. Next time I turned the TV on again from the power button I was surprised that the DN1040 also turned on and yes it was still set to TV. Unfortunately though there was no signal either images or sound as my TV is routed through the DVD / HDD Recorder which did not power on.

In an ideal world the DN1040 should turn all three devices on but this doesn't happen even when Viera Link is enabled.

I'm just going to have to accept that the DN1040 is not compatible with Panasonic products and be done with it! Frustrating? H#ll yes!!!

When my Panasonic TV finally dies I will not buy a Sony TV out of protest, the DN1040 works ok with LG's, apparently!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

MK_Slinky - Can I have your DN1040 - out of protest of course :grin:

If the pass-through works with Sony TVs and LGs (I cannot confirm) - would that not indicate that its a Panasonic issue?  Has anyone tried route of Panasonic Support?  Sorry just thinking aloud here.

profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Yes Slinky, I think your right, it looks like the Sony is particular what it's connected to; some brands do, some don't.

With regard to your previous comment, yes, the manual does state the DN1040 will remember the source it was connected to when it comes out of standby. This was the case on my previous two receivers anyway

I'm still going pin out all my HDMI cables to check if they're fully wired, just in case I've been fooling myself.

I had a Sony CRT TV before the Panny and I have to admit it was a beaut, but it weighed a ton. So, I've no aversion to Sony, but all the Brands are turning out pretty good gear nowadays. C'est la vie. 

profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

You could be right Quinnicus.

What's the betting that some of the Panny receivers don't work with Sony TV's !

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus,

Sure you can have it, I've shipped it via UPS and should be with you tomorrow after lunch.., LOL!!! NOT!!

Yes it could well be a Panasonic issue but I have heard of other makes that also suffer the same issue.

My Panasonic TV is no longer under warranty and so it's doubtfull I could get support for it now. Although this issue is a pain in the proverbials I can live with it, just!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Play_spider,

For interest I just checked my TV manual and it says that the Panasonic can also work with a variety of other manufacturers CEC devices and mentions Sony's 'Smartlink'. I wonder if the change from 'Smartlink' to 'HDMI Control' on the Sony has had an impact on compatibility also. Maybe it's a newer standard / format not supported by the older generation of Viera Panasonics? Mind you I'm just guessing on that one.

Around the time I bought my TV I also purchased a Sony 'Smartlink' VHS recorder, the Sony 'Smartlink' feature worked fine with my Panasonic TV. I only upgraded from the VHS recorder to my Panasonic DVD /HDD Recorder because the VHS unit conveniently died after 13 months and just outside the warranty!

Somehow I think this issue will never be resolved fully, for one each persons setup and combination of connected devices is different and so what works for one person may not work for others. Such is life.

Harrywillis

Just noticed that amp showing update available, so spent 15 minutes or so waiting for it to carry out the update. So hopeful that the update was going to solve the HDMI Passthrough problem on standby. It didn't. Don't know what the software update was for, but it has not solved the dreaded click and loss of signal after switching to standby.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Harry,

In an ideal world you would be forgiven for thinking that Sony would address the most popular complaints with a firmware update but sadly not with this release.

The latest firmware update addresses the following issues only:

**Improves Netflix and Dolby Digital Plus functionality**

Info here : STR-DN1040-firmware-update-v1092

Like you I also downloaded the update but it seems to have been a pointless task. I don't use Netflix and as for the Dolby Digital Plus update, exactly what was wrong with this I wonder??

Harrywillis

Netflix? I'm nt sure how the amp knows anything about Netflix! It's just another source surely? Ascot the Dolby Digtal side of it, I'm not sure wh that is needed either.

Come on Sony, fix the issue(s) that need fixing?