Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
haferguxk

STR-DN1080

Hi I have just bought a str-dn 1080 amp 

and I was wondering if I can use my  SA-VE505 speakers with this amp the speakers are 8ohms and the new amp is 6ohms my speakers are in mint condition and I don’t want to replace then they are 120w any help would be great thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @haferguxk

Generally speaking, speakers with a higher impedance (ohm rating) are much safer for amplifiers with a lower impedance than the other way around. So your new amplifier should play very nicely with speakers rated 6 ohms and upwards. 

Power rating is even less of a concern, as your amp power rating is greater than the speaker power handling – again, the reverse situation would be of more concern, ie if the amp was unable to drive the speakers. 

In short: you should be fine. 

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @haferguxk

Generally speaking, speakers with a higher impedance (ohm rating) are much safer for amplifiers with a lower impedance than the other way around. So your new amplifier should play very nicely with speakers rated 6 ohms and upwards. 

Power rating is even less of a concern, as your amp power rating is greater than the speaker power handling – again, the reverse situation would be of more concern, ie if the amp was unable to drive the speakers. 

In short: you should be fine. 

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
haferguxk

Cheers mick I did notice when I actually looked at the back of the amp after my post I noticed that it says on the back 6ohms-16ogms