Join now - be part of our community!

Streaming video to STR-DN 1050

mnik2015
New

Streaming video to STR-DN 1050

I got myself a STR-DN 1050 AV Receiver - it says on the Sony website how it is possible to stream wirelessly audio and video to this device (and the attached TV presumably).

I have installed a Serviio DLNA server on my PC and have successfully streamed _audio_ from Serviio and my Android phone (Bluetooth). However, I cannot stream any video format to STR-DN 1050, I have tried streaming from Serviio, Windows Media Player, LXiMedia Centre (which has a lot of video encoding options but none worked), and I even tried streaming from Android phone but no luck.

Did anyone manage to stream video to STR-DN 1050, and if yes - please please please - what do I need to do to play videos from my DLNA server?

Many thanks

mnik

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@mnik2015

Unfortunately what you desire cannot be done with this receiver, it's an audio streamer only! I asked the same question last year when I purchased my STR-DN1040.

I seem to recall someone saying something about being able to stream video to an Apple TV but it's a while ago now, I might be thinking of something different.

The problem here is that Sony have a misprint on their write-up about this device in the Sony Store, in the first image below you would rightly expect video streaming to work however the second image below that contradicts the first and only mentions audio streaming capabilities. Blame Sony!

STR-DN1050 Image 1.jpg

No mention of video streaming in this next image!

STR-DN1050 Image 2.jpg

BTW, if you're streaming audio you don't need any additional software if you already have iTunes installed. You can stream directly from iTunes on PC or iOS via the AirPlay feature which is already built into your receiver. Just turn on your receiver and launch iTunes and it should automatically recognise your receiver. You will notice the following icon in iTunes which allows selection of your receiver as a playback source. The beauty of AirPlay over other methods of playing music is that it supports gapless playback so you don't get those nasty silent pauses between tracks.

AirPlay.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.IE.title
shayfarrelly
Explorer

What if you connected an Apple ATV to an HDMI.  Could you not use airplay to stream to that ATV?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@shayfarrelly

Sorry but I don't really understand your question. Not owning an Apple TV myself I have no experience in this field however having just checked the Apple website it appears that Apple TV does have iTunes and you can stream via iOS devices over Airplay to that device.

It would be a reasonable assumption to make that you could also hear the audio from your HDMI connected Apple TV through your receiver but your receiver cannot transmit AirPlay signals to other devices, it can only receive an AirPlay signal from a device, if that makes sense? 

Perhaps someone with more experience can chip in here????

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Sorry I wasn't asking a question but making a suggestion in relation to the original question on how to video stream to his DN1050. What I do with my Onkyo AV is to connect an Apple ATV to the AV receiver via an HDMI. You can stream to the ATV via AirPlay and the sound will come out the speakers and the video will appear on an attached TV. This is One reason I'm waiting for the DN1060 as it has AirPlay and GoogleCast built in to the receiver. I hope that makes sense😄
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@invalid_35 

Hahahahaha, your use of a question mark certainly fooled me, I could have sworn you said "Could you not use airplay to stream to that ATV?" LOL!!! :laughing:

Actually if you were only hanging out for AirPlay Sony have been incorporating that into their receivers for a couple of years now although GoogleCast is a new one as far as I know.

You'll have to pop back to this forum when you do buy the 1060, it's nice to hear what other members are buying and how it performs.

Chris

profile.country.GB.title
Hanky3
New

Yeah mate you can use an Apple TV...

i have an STR-DG 820 which I think is a bit older, and an Apple TV 3... which goes straight into the hdmi on my amp and I stream audio and video to it perfectly. Sounds incredible too.

just make sure you have it all on the same WiFi network, which you probably already know.