Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting dvi laptop to hdmi tv - no audio?

profile.country.en_GB.title
supaskater
Visitor

Connecting dvi laptop to hdmi tv - no audio?

Sony Bravia3 TV

Dell laptop has dvi output for HD video, and headphone socket for audio output. I can connect HD video to tv using lead with dvi plug at laptop end and hdmi plug at tv end; But where do I plug the audio lead into theTV so that  I have sound when hdmi is selected ? (Laptop does not output sound via dvi)

7 REPLIES 7
Catmambo
Contributor

Might have to use a 3.5mm to phono (red and white) jacks on the back of the tv?

Thanks

supaskater
Visitor

Hmm, already tried that but cannot work out how to tell tv to accept video from hdmi whilst receiving sound via phono jacks. Ought to be possible, but can't suss out how!

profile.country.DE.title
chschoett
New

Hi,

I have a KDL-40W5800 and I try the same setup as you do. The Sony manual mentions that this combination is possible exactly on the HDMI 1 input. This should be used with the audio jack near to the VGA connector. The plug is even marked with "HDMI 1 audioIn".

However, I have sound over the audio jack as long the HDMI is not plugged-in.

As soon as I plug in HDMI, I have the PC screen but audio is gone.

It seems that the DVI-->HDMI connection somehow fools the Bravia into thinking that the sound is also provided via HDMI and it therefore ignores the audio input. I use a DVI-D-->HDMI adaptor.

Regards, Christian

profile.country.no_NO.title
borjoh
Visitor

Did anyone figure this out?

gofrost

have you turned off your on board audio because dvi-d should support audio

goodgear
Explorer

Exact same problem with my 60" Wedge TV, there is no VGA port on it and my mini pc has DVI only with no audio carrying with it. I use a DVI to HDMI cable and then use a 3.5 audio cable coming from pc. I have tried the headphone socket, the Red and White sockets but no audio, It is driving me crazy! It is a great TV but I am thinking of changing it for another one that gives me better options. My pc is so small there is no option to install a hdmi graphics card hence my setup. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

When connecting the red/white rca cable on the tv, are you connecting them to the 'audio in' sockets - assuming your tv has audio in.

If so, once connected, go to the audio settings in control panel and ensure this option is not disabled. You might need to right-click to show al inc disable connections

Cheers