Join now - be part of our community!

Help! Can’t watch Live TV on ITV Hub or BBC Iplayer

profile.country.GB.title
Chloejadem
New

Help! Can’t watch Live TV on ITV Hub or BBC Iplayer

Hi there, 

I am looking for some help - I have purchased  the Sony Bravia KDL40WE663 40” Smart TV, which has ITV hub and BBC Player, however there is no option to watch ‘Live TV’ on any of these apps? It will only allow me to watch catch up programmes. We don’t have Ariel or cable so want to watch Live TV through these apps only.

The TV says the apps are up to date but I want to know if it is possible? A friend has a Samsung TV and is able to watch Live TV via the app. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

44 REPLIES 44
profile.country.US.title
dakooga
Explorer

I don't have an aerial either. I can live stream from the apps in any other context yet on my Sony TV I can't for ITV which has removed the live button from the YouWhatever version of the app. Who did that deal? 

if(tv.brand==sony && tv.aerial==0) liveviewbutton.hide(); 

Seriously?

Dumb.

profile.country.GB.title
dapowel2886
Explorer

I've got the same problem watching Live on ITV Hub but BBC iPlayer works with my Bravia 4K UR2. It's obviously a restriction through Sony and or Google Playstation as the latter returns a not compatible message when I search and try to download ITV Hub outside of their LIVE TV & Catch Up App.

I bought a Roku Soundbar Streamer to use with an old Sony KDL-40Z4500 with limited online facilities and I can stream live TV through their ITV Hub on that, the above model and my Sony KD-55AF8. It's a shame you have to spend even more money to watch free to air stuff on a high priced TV - Wondering why I stick with Sony!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey dapowel2886, which TV doesn't play live channels? And do you have an aerial connected to it?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@HannahEd01 

Have a re-read of @dapowel2886 ’s posting.

He’s not on about the OTA channels.

He’s on about the absence of a live TV option on the itv Hub internet app.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

I guess that has something to do with ITV ?

profile.country.GB.title
mtulleysolidcstoreorg
Explorer

There are two versions of ITV Hub. The one installed on Samsung smart TV allows 'live tv', but the one installed on Sony does not.

I hope Sony provide a solution to this, as it's been flagged for over 12 months as a problem.  Solution - buy a Samsung!?  Shame I've had some very unhappy guests at a holiday home with the Sony 'smart' TV

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
mtulleysolidcstoreorg
Explorer

It may not be possible to watch ITV live on the ITV Hub installed on Sony TV.  It is possible to watch live TV on IPlayer.  It's also possible to watch ITV live on the ITV Hub installed on my Samsung TV.  Shame Sony have installed the wrong version of ITV Hub.

profile.country.GB.title
mtulleysolidcstoreorg
Explorer

Same here.  I can't watch live ITV on the Sony ITV Hub, but I can on the ITV Hub installed on my Samsung Smart TV.

Help??

profile.country.GB.title
mtulleysolidcstoreorg
Explorer

Yes I quite agree.  Real shame that Sony have missed a trick when Samsung have a version of ITV Hub installed that DOES allow live TV.  Come on Sony, get a grip please.  Over 12 months since this problem has been posted and no reply yet

profile.country.GB.title
mtulleysolidcstoreorg
Explorer

Yes, I have the same problem.  I also have a very upset holiday guest who can't watch the program they wanted to today on ITV.  I should have bought a Samsung as I have at home which has a version of ITVHub that allows live TV rather than the Sony Bravia.  I thought Sony was a premium brand but maybe I was wrong.  Customer service also pretty poor as no resolution or sensible reply given in over 12 months of posting this problem.