Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KDL-42W805A side by side 3D TV

dammys1
Explorer

Sony Bravia KDL-42W805A side by side 3D TV

Hello I see this question has been asked a lot of times but not for this model? I cannot work out how to use the side by side 3D function on this passive TV set though the function is included when pressing the 3D button it is either on off or simulated the side by side is there but cannot be selected?

I have done as some others have said gone into the external settings changed to normal not off or menu or menu and keys and that seems to work for the main TV digital screen with the option now being selectable but when changing to my wanted source again they become hidden 😕 basically if I click on the 3D button on a HDMI setting the only options are on off or simulated. If I select the button on the main page then the side by side is selectable but if trying to select and then switch to the HDMI source it again turns it off and will not let you select it on the HD in use.

The HD cable is new 2.0 and tried on a 1.4a both support 3D the source I am trying to view is not Sky 3D or Virgin 3D it is online 3D which is playing perfectly on the PC/Laptop which is the source and shows as a side by side 3D image ready for the TV to merge the 2 pictures together but nothing it just plays on the TV as a 2D side by side image.

The set is fully up to date with all updates. HD port in use is MHL port 2 but switching to HDMI 1 made no difference, set has 4 HD ports. It can be difficult to setup as when factory resetting it is very difficult to even get the ARC function working.

Sorry the question maybe a little difficult to understand.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's not really easy to understand which is your problem. I've got the very same TV and 3D is working like a charm.

When viewing a 3D movie via the TV player (being on an HDD or Youtube for example) you have two main possibility:

• the source clearly states that is a 3D content: you don't have to do nothing and 3D mode is activated automatically
  • the source do not states that is 3D: for the TV it is a normal 2D video (that you see as side by side), pushing the 3D button you can set it as 3D SBS e 3D mode is activated

What happens to you?

dammys1
Explorer

Hello thank you for replying on my LG it picks up 3D signals no problem as it lets you select which 3D mode you require whether it's a 3D source or not the Sony however just doesn't seem to do anything for that option so it must not be getting a 3D signal to allow the 3D menu to activate? There is no error codes just the 3D selection remains greyed out/not selectable.

The source is 3D online content side by side but the option to select side by side is not allowing it to be pressed which then merges the pictures back together?

With it being a laptop HD to HD port it does sometimes report incorrect resolution but I change this in laptop settings. Not sure what the best resolution should be to use but I do have to set screen to full in the TV settings.

It seems it allows side by side to be selected but only when on the normal TV page with the built in receivers e.g. Satellite and freeview but when trying to select it on the HD input it just removes the option.

So it does seem it's not receiving a 3D signal to allow auto change but in them circumstances I would think it should allow for manual selection like my LG but it doesn't.

It seems it maybe the auto detect as I assume using the built in wifi it knows the signal is there for auto but seems to be missing from external sources.

I have read in the forums similar messages with issues when Sky used to have 3D and how it was resolved in settings but that's not doing it for me 😞

Pretty much this issue but that solution to not work for me 😕 :

The lady from Sky talked me through it step by step,so as far as I can remember I had to go into Settings,External Inputs,HDMI setup,Device control keys - put this to Normal. Then this brought up the options on the 3D display that where not there before, which then allowed me to chose side by side and watch Sky 3d channel. Hope this helps.

Solved! Go to the Solution

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The problem with hdmi source is related to Bravia sync and has nothing to do with 3d but commands that go directly to device instead of tv.

If you can share the online link not working I may try to test the same with my own tv...