Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

180 REPLIES 180
profile.country.GB.title
eddiejcooper
Explorer

I wish I had not been tempted by Sony's appalling implementation of Android TV. The laggy interface and unusable satellite EPG are not just killers of this TV (KD55X8509C) but also of Sony's reputation for me as a 1st time Sony TV buyer. Wish I'd stuck with Samsung or LG now... And I can't get SideView to work from a Sony tablet or phone... Won't find the TV, even via IP.

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

Edited title as the topic is more about satellite guide rather than freesat.  We know that Freesat is not supported but satellite is and we also know that EPG data is available as now and next for visited channels and also full guide with a search. 

Not really sure eddiejcooper why you can't see your TV, perhaps it is something in your wifi network router that is blocking traffic?  

After the latest update (April 2016) here are my latest comments;

1. The update was to fix stability issues - European models (incl Ireland) not UK.  

2. This update again wiped out my favourites so I had to set that up again.  Another wasted 30 mins.

3. TV went random for a bit, switch off about an hour later without warning and refused to load Netflix until I switch off completely.

4. No resolution to SAT EPG issue i.e. no addition of the Launch and Search option that was present in 2014 models so it's back to using the cobbled together solution of remote plus Sideview....poor show.

I have a suggestion for Sony.  Why not implement the Launch and Search oiption as was the perfectly working solution for earlier models connected online?   Alternative why not just dump the EPG and implement Sideview on the TV as the EPG , it's an Android app so surely it's not rocket science to visit the code?

Last but not least, out of courtesy Sony produce a simple statement of intent about the issue.  Doing so would show some concern for the users who bought TVs in good faith and now find that the feature set is incomplete.  Are there no Sony mods on here who monitor this?

This is my third Sony TV in as many years years, I am very sad to say after this experience I will be looking elsewhere for our next purchases.

No programme event

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

It depends on the provider.

For example a German WDR HD (from WDR.de) or MDR or BR (Bayern) have both types of EPG -TXT :

• The GUIDE we can read by pressing GUIDE on Remote Control and
  • The advanced Teletext which is enabled after pressing the TXT(green lines) button on Remote Control. This doesn't appear instantly but after after 5 or more seconds. There is also a small display of the channel on the right side. Next pressing of this button gives a classic Teletext.

Not all providers support these functions

RobH291
Explorer

You say Bravia has no Freesat, I was sold a Sony Bravia KD 55X8509C yesterday with the promise it had Freesat AND Freeview as I only use Freesat. I have connected my Free sat Dish aerial directly to my TV (bypassing my Freesat Humax box and can get no tv GUIDE  of any kind and the poor EPG I do see will not populate. This will be going for a refund tomorrow as I do not expect to pay £850 for a TV that cannot even supp;y a TV guide. I was told it was all singing and dancing but at present it appears to be mute and nailed to the floor. VERY POOR SONY you have had long enough to iron out the problems, even letting your customers commisioning your products before they are fit for sale is bad enough without putting right the PROBLEMS YOU KNOW ABOUT AND THEY ARE ALSO TELLING YOU. I will never buy another Sony product and will discourage all friends and family from using Sony for anything

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobH291

Im sorry, but you are blaming Sony for a feature that they have never claimed to have.  As it appears you were mis-sold by your retailer, you will need to take this up with them

Can i please ask you which retailer and store location told you this?  

Thank you.

gebearm

I have the 2016  KD XD93 55" and despite two satellite inputs there is no FREESAT which I prefer especially the EPG which I had on my previous Samsung..SONY will not respond to my complaint. There is no standby light . Excellent picture from Internet Browser (far better  Chrome Cast) but the browser is too laborious to operate, it needs a wireless keyboard and am waiting for one to arrive from Amazon..

hootsman
New

I have a 2015 android based Sony TV with satellite decoders. I don't know if they're all the same, but on mine I get the freesat listings using this procedure. When in guide, press the "Action Menu" on the remote, scroll along to "Guide" then "Broadcast type" and set it to "digital". This then displays the freesat information and numbers the channels accordingly. Good luck. 

soulfulcheddars
Explorer

Doesn't that just switch it to Freeview so that when you select a channel it takes you to the freeview version and not the satellite one? I have no HD on my freeview for some reason. Dodgy aerial I guess or a filter (it's a communal one) so I really want the satellite epg 😕

profile.country.IE.title
orwell84

It is quite simple THIS Sony TV does not have a Freesat guide, in fact it has no Guide at all for satellite!

So efffectively in the UK (and Irl) you get this problem of no information for Satellite broadcasts (other countries may have a better service).  Terrestrial broadcasts complete in the Guide correctly.  My previous model 2014 Sony TV had the same issue but in the Guide there was an option to Search and Launch the Guide which basically seeks the satellite information online first then displays it in the Guide.  So this is not a new issue, it;s just Sony did not see fit to put the feature in the newer Android model.

So it could be fixed -  it's simply that Sony won't say it will be fixed.   Quinnicus asked for a statement from Sony and there is none.  CUSTOMER CARE 😞

You can workaround the problem by using a tablet or phone with Sideview installed.  In this app the Guide displays correctly for both terrrestrial and satellite.  You can also schedule recordings and delete them and so on.  But there is no Sideview App on the TV so the current Guide is substandard.  It's not about FreeSat or Freeview, its about having a working guide.  It works on Sideview, it worked in 2014 models both developed by Sony so why not on the TV that people have shelled out hard earned cash?

I like the TV and am less angry now using app Sideview workaround but I am still very annoyed that no one in Sony cares to make a statement and I had to shell out on a tablet to act as a remote control!