Join now - be part of our community!

W800 2014 TV vs W700 2015 TV models?

profile.country.GB.title
stellababy
Explorer

W800 2014 TV vs W700 2015 TV models?

I'm looks for an affordable 48 inch tv. Should I buy last years model at a higher spec or go for W700 series from 2015? 

8 REPLIES 8

Honestly wouldn't get the new one. Android TV and Sony seem to have made a right hash of things. The App store is disappointing, unless you bought the TV to play games on it, in which case your laughing. A LOT of the the apps produced are games. 

I bought a TV to act as a TV, and do the catch up thing etc They completly messed up the EPG, the whole thing feels slow changing between channels and menus. These could be great TVs in the future IF Android and other companies get in on the act. For me I don't think Sony represents what it used to when I last bought my TV back in the day. Sony stood for quality and decent products but has now become a cumbersom and it seems like this Dinosaur should be making an apperance Jurassic Park World.

I'm going to take mine back. Why should I be subjected to a Firmware update after firmware update to make the TV "stable"

NickCo1979

Ditto the comment above. Stick to last years models and get something that works.

profile.country.GB.title
stellababy
Explorer

Thanks for you replies! :slight_smile:

In fact the 2015 W700 models (and two lower series) are the only ones WITHOUT Android. 

So maybe I'll be getting the best of both worlds for now! :slight_smile:

I think Android may be a good idea for the future, but as with any new system, it will take time to perfect!

NickCo1979

To be fair to the dev teams at Sony they are chucking firmware out on a weekly basis to try and fix the issues.

To be fair to the customers Sony should never have released the 2015 Android TVs with firmware that was blatently not ready.

Therein lies the modern problem of marketing and form overuling the logic of engineering and function. Better to polish a turd and flog it as best you can than not make any money until something is ready seems to be the attitude in the short term bonus driven management perspectives of today.

Good luck with the TV, at least Sony still check out decent hardware :slight_smile: 

profile.country.GB.title
stellababy
Explorer

Thanks Nick!

Yes I completely agree that they should WORK straight away.

I know Samsung's new TVs are missing all the big apps too… sounds like they may never get the BBC iPlayer app… which is a bit of a dealbreaker in the UK. >.<

marco_polo_12345
Explorer

Definitely go for last years model, I have a buggy 2015 W755. Nice picture (when it will come on), but the EPG is a joke, and the whole TV runs frustratingly slowly (sometimes ignoring the remote altogether).

I feel like a beta tester, and my Mrs is growing madder and madder with me....

profile.country.GB.title
stellababy
Explorer

Thanks Marco!

Actually I went for the 2015 W705c model… one of the few without Android, which uses the 2014 menu system.

So far I'm very happy! New TV and working old interface. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice all.

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

I'd say it depends on the raw picture quality. Don't know if the 2015 are better, the same, or worse in this regard. But they are worse in input lag, at least the W8C models.

In terms of software I liked the 2013 menus better than the 2014 models.