Join now - be part of our community!

GPU (red noise) problem on VAIO VGN-AR51E

profile.country.en_GB.title
robinass
Visitor

GPU (red noise) problem on VAIO VGN-AR51E

Hello,

I was using my VAIO vgn-ar51e happily for more then 2 years, it was working absolutely ok, however about a month ago it started to misbehave.

I'm getting red/pink noise around white characters and some other parts of the screen. While it's loading up, in bios and in Windows environment.

So far I have tried to replace the actual laptop screen with a new one, but still had the same problem. I also tried to connect external monitor (through vga connection) and only then I'm getting a clear image.

Did you had same/similar problems? Maybe it's one of SONY's faulty models?

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
KatherineYH
Visitor

Yes it definitely sounds like a video card / hardware issue.

Try reinstalling the video driver and see if that fixes the problem but usually when you get lines appearing, it's a video card problem.

Life is too serious to be taken seriously https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png

robinass
Visitor

Tried drivers - not helping.. :slight_frown: So I know it's graphic card - what should I do next? Is it possible to replace it on this particular model? Is it just the question of unpluging it? Or is it integrated in to the mother board?

profile.country.it_IT.title
rolaroc
Visitor

Hello, I have the same identical notebook and I had the same issue...

Unfortunately it's a common issue that can happen to those who have a nVidia 8-series graphics chip, especially 8400 and 8600.

The only safe and official way to fix the issue would be to send an RMA to Sony in order to have the motherboard changed, since the nVidia 8400M chip is soldered to the motherboard.

However I managed to solve the problem unofficially, with heat.

More specifically it can happen that, whenever artifacts are shown on screen due a faulty graphics card, this card can be fixed by putting it into an oven for about 10-15 minutes at about 180°C or locally heating the chip to melt again the soldering joints.

It's a trick which doesn't make damage to the card and worked for me a couple of times, but I can't guarantee it to work forever...

A week ago, I took my VGN-AR51E and unscrewed the plastic panel under it (it came off very easily after taking all the screws), then I unscrewed the aluminum heatspreader placed on the motherboard and, with a hairdryer at maximum heat and power, I heated for 15 minutes the bare chip above the ram slots, then other 15 minutes on the chip up on the right (which is the graphics chip).

After that, my notebook started working perfectly again and I've been also playing videogames since.

This is not a joke and there are also tutorials on the net about this trick.

profile.country.el_GR.title
LouisCY
Visitor

Hi All,

I have the same problem with my VGN-AR51SU vaio. Few weeks ago my Vaio stop working and the screen became black. After i power off and on again the vaio is not working and i receive some beep indicating VGA problem.

I want to know what is the official position of SONY about these problems since it is manufacture problem because they didnt manage to design proper cooling for the VGA chip.