Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio PCG-FX501 will not boot up

profile.country.en_GB.title
gillettadam
Visitor

Sony Vaio PCG-FX501 will not boot up

I bought a second hand Sony Vaio FX501 about 4 years ago and it was fine for a long time, a very useful machine but the charger port broke on it and I did not use it for about 2 years. Now I need a laptop again and tried to ressurect it by using a different motherboard, put everything back together and all that happens is the power and hdd drive lights remain on and the fan spins. I have replaced the RAM and I have tried a different processor and it is just not working. Is it a motherboard issue or is it something fixable without replacing the motherboard for the old one and soldering a new connector on? I don't know much about laptop internals, but I know a bit about desktops. Also the battery on it never worked and I'm not worried about that.

Cheers

Adam

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi gillettadam and welcome.

Quite honestly, this Vaio does not owe you anything and it is probably time you looked at upgrading to a more modern model.

Where did you get the motherboard from? Is it an exact match for your old one?  How do you know it was in working condition?  It could be faulty or incompatible. 

You can try reinstalling the original motherboard as a short term fix but I guess it has seen its best days.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
gillettadam
Visitor

I know it's really flogging a dead horse but I'm not able to afford much so it's making the most of what I have! This motherboard came from a computer technician who I trust and has always done major computer work for us. He sold me the laptop in the first instance. I'm not 100% sure it's still working but I see no reason why it shouldn't. It came from a laptop identical to mine, they all originated from a small business that failed. I'll rebuild it around the original motherboard and see what happens and let you know, cheers for the reply