Join now - be part of our community!

DSX-A500BD Car DAB/FM radio

Phylisdoris
Explorer

DSX-A500BD Car DAB/FM radio

Hi there. Have just fitted 2 of these units. One to my Fiat Scudo van with no problems and the other to a Freelander. After just a week the Freelander unit is now giving intermittent problems. With the unit on, when ignition is turned on the unit stays on until the key is turned to start the engine. As is usual, the radio momentarily cuts out before coming back on agsin once the engine is running. However, on numerous occasions today, when the radio unit came back on there was no sound and the only way to restore it was by several attempts at turning the engine on and off! 

To further complicate matters, this only happens when the radio is in the DAB mode. In FM mode we cannot get it to fail. 

Can it be a faulty unit or a software problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Interesting - Just today, I recommended my mum get one of these DAB radios for her car - Halfords has a special on at the moment :slight_smile:

My first thoughts on your problem though faulty or loose wiring connection to the unit.  But then you said that it happens only is DAB mode and not FM.  I still think the wiring is a possibility though - if you installed it yourself, check all connections are securely seated correctly.  If someone else installed it, get them to double-check. 

I guess there is still a possibility of a faulty unit.  I cant see it being software related though.

Cheers

Phylisdoris
Explorer

Hi Qunnicus and thanks for reply.

Took the  car back to Halfords yesterday and fortunately the fault manifested itself for the benefit of the Technician.  As expected, no faults found with the wiring. I used an aerial splitter connected between the FM aerial mounted on the front of the roof and the radio unit and the Technician, although not pointing the finger, did say that theyd had a number of issues with aerial splitters recently. However,  the unit was changed for another new one and we'll see how it goes. At the moment all is well and DAB start up is a lot quicker with no freezing faults!

As I said in the OP, I have the same set up in my Fuat Scudo van including an aerial splitter snd have not suffered any radio problems at all. Time will tell.

Hi everyone. Got the same issue here on two units. One radio unit in a Golf IV 1.6 and one in Caddy 1.9 SDI. 2-4 engine starts out of 10, resulting in no audio output. Everything else is working on the device. Requested Sony support wants to replace units. Not sure if there’s a hardware fault in two radios operation for two month, leading to the exact same fault.

Pauljeady
New

Hi iv just bought one of these yesterday and already have the exact problems you have described..... did you hear any news on the problem?

profile.country.IT.title
sanzoghenzo
New

hi,

I've got the same issue; we're discussing it here.

For me there's no need to turn off the engine; just switch to another source (BT audio or usb work for me), turn off the radio, wait for several seconds and turn the radio on again.

profile.country.GB.title
Pugmanaught
New

So DSX-A500BD appears to be a problem model.I've been through two of these units with the same symtoms(intermitent no amp operation,bluetooth inop and poor in call phone connection).

Was close to swapping from Halfords for another brand but went for the next model up(MEXN6002BD with CD player)and found all the gliches of the cheaper model to be non existent.

This is a software issue all day,but all Sony could suggest was check your installation connections.

profile.country.GB.title
gogriff
New

I too have one of these radio's with a DAB problem  so I contacted Sony who listened to my tale of woe. the said that I could have a replacement and that I needed to contact their service department. So I did and was told that I would have topay an examination fee. I asked if any one there could give me advice over the phone but to no avail. 

So I did and this is a copy.

I always use the radio in Digital mode since it gives the best reception of 
weaker stations i.e. Smooth Extra.  The usual way to obtain a digital band is 
to press the Mode button until the required band DB 1,DB 2 or DB 3 appears on 
the screen accompanied by the word "receiving". Then if a program has been 
preset, it will start up or I press "Seek", forward or back until the required 
station comes on.  
  However, at the moment the word "received" appears and keeps repeating and 
will not budge when I press "Seek". this has never happened before. I am 
wondering if is to do with the fact that I have just connected my Experia Phone 
to it via Bluetooth or would that be just coincidental since this fault did, I 
think, occur at the same time. I must add that all other UK radio bands FM, M 
and L etc., function satisfactorily.