Join now - be part of our community!

MDR 1000X headphones bracket has broken

SOLVED
profile.country.RO.title
andreioros
Explorer

MDR 1000X headphones bracket has broken

I purchased my SONY MDR-1000XB headphones in January 2017, from www.altex.ro

I used them exclusively at work a (noisy) office environment - I am very happy with both the sound quality and NC. 

However, the build quality is disappointing, especially considering the fact that the headphones costed 380 euro: this week I've noticed that the plastic of the bracket is cracked.

20180531_121312156_iOS.jpg 

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andreioros,

probably support assumed you live in the UK.

Some support agents don't understand that many countries use the UK community.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
andreioros
Explorer

sony-community.PNG

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andreioros,

I probably should have explained myself better - your .ro top level domain leads to the UK community, as well as for example .se (Sweden).

The support agent probably misunderstood me or didn't know this - I messaged him back just now and will reply to you asap this time if I get a reply.

- Nic

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andreioros,

if your headphones are still within warranty as you say, they should be repaired without additional cost.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
andreioros
Explorer

I sent the headphones last week for service and got them back today:

• the plastic on both sides was replaced (it was cracked only on one side)
  • the repairs were covered by the warranty, without additional costs (transport included)
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andreioros,

thanks for the update, glad to hear your headphones got repaired.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Broka1979
Explorer

Jesus christ it's been 3 weeks since I sent you my details regarding my cracked headphones and I've not had a reply back.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Broka1979,

if you are within the one year periode after purchase (which you are), you should get them reapaired under warranty.

Sorry your post got buried :sweat:

In the future please create a new post for your issue instead of posting on an already exisiting post, since I simply overlooked your post. :frowning2:

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
calfman
Explorer

Just going through these posts as I have same headphones that have cracked on both sides.

Are the waranty periods diferent for the UK and the rest of Europe?

I bought mine in Jan 2017 and have been told mine are out of waranty in the UK...

That these headphones have an obvious design fault is beside the point.

AlanMT
Explorer

Bought mine June 2017 from Duty Free - though replacd by PC World as they "creaked". These replaced pair have just fractured through the same stress spot as all the others.

This cannot be accidental damage as, if so, every set would have cracks in different places on the head-phones.

No. This is obviously a design and or material design fault and I think that Sony should take some action to recall and fix the problem free of charge whatever the age of the cans. Afterall, these are the "Rolls Royce", "top-of-the-range" devices, and are not cheap and should be expected to last at least 3 years. I believe that this is an inherent fault and covered under the Sale of Goods Act and so I shall insist PC World (from whom I purchased these headphones) is liable to support me in dealing with this fault. If they won't help then paying for an independant inspection may be required to aid my dispute.

Whatever the outcome my opinion of Sony's design reputation is going to take a big dive.