Join now - be part of our community!

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

X88 Volume adjustment, sound and EQ issues

Hi, I seems to have some issues with my new X88 speaker in that;

1. The volume buttons on the top only adjust the input source and not the actual volume.

2. The EQ settings in the SongPal app make no recognisable difference to the sound (they do on my X77).

3. Overall the sound doesn't seem right, it's shallow with very little bass (very noticeable compared to my X77 and X55).

4. I cannot initialise the speaker using the Vol - key and Stands.

I had thought the sound might warm up as the speaker bedded in but there's no change as yet. It has a couple of software updates in the 2 weeks I've had it, no change to these issue though.

Any help/steer would be great. If anyone has an X88 it would good to know if these has depth and bass/took time to bed in.

Thanks

59 REPLIES 59
BrotherBarnabas
Explorer

upgrade to Firmware Version: 1.60.2892 basically bricks the unit! This is my 2nd unit in 4 days from Amazon. I had not seen these posts before now or I wouldn't have bothered with the unit.

Sony UK support (well wherever they are. US I think), are going to contact me again with in 24-48 hrs. I am not taking it to a Sony Service Centre. What is the point? I am not doing this everytime I need a firmware upgrade. I am sending it back to Amazon, and getting a different unit. 

What a pain this is! Can't believe that post have gone back months and there is no solution.

BrotherBarnabas
Explorer

This link doesn't seem to be working, or rather it is not clear what it is for?

BrotherBarnabas
Explorer

Marino.Manolo yes we have installed it:

• Nome: Aggiornamento del firmware alla ver. 1.60.2892

It is the one that is causing the problem!

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

I don't understand why still no new firmware has been issued by Sony, or why they simply have not pulled the faulty firmware for the X88 speaker. It is almost five months now since the firmware which was claimed to be compatible with the X88 was released. I don't know how many X88's are being sold, but chances are that the Sony service centres are very busy repairing lots of bricked X88's.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hanssluiman

I have resent Sony a message in regards to confirming if the faulty FW has been pulled from release.  I asked this a couple of months back and never got a response - then I forgot to follow this up. 

Will post back with answer - and wont forget this time :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

We will know very quickly when the firmware update has been pulled, since as soon as that happens there will be no "update" alert any more on the X88 (by default the X88, if connected to the internet, automatically checks for updates every time it is switched on).

Snunkie
Explorer

I have just received an X88 unit today with the same problems so googled it and came across your post. I have fiddled around with it and found that you can activate the update option by pressing the volume down button (which activates the audio in button) together with the USB-A button (which activates the volume Down button) and the unit then beeps and enters update mode. The orange update button lights up and you can then plug a usb flashdrive in to update it. I haven't found a firmware update though so am currently reverting it to the previous version. Will let you know if it works

Snunkie
Explorer

I've worked out which function each of the buttons now do in it's jumbled state and found that pressing the volume down (activates audio in) and the USB-A button (activates volume down) puts the unit into update mode

profile.country.GB.title
chandalf
Explorer

This is not working for me. although I'm sure I did get it in to Update Mode at one point, I just don't know how! Totally rediculous thet Sony should be ignoring the issue. They asked me to review the X88 and they've posted my comments on their product page for any prospective buyers to see.

profile.country.GB.title
Hanssluiman
Explorer

Somebody, a customer of John Lewis, managed to update his X88 without any problems (http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-srs-x88-wireless-multiroom-bluetooth-nfc-wi-fi-airplay-speaker-with-hi...). I wonder if I should try again, although I already bricked two previous units by downloading the update. There is no Sony service centre nearby and I don't really want to be without my X88 for weeks...