Join now - be part of our community!

No sound for incoming SMS messages

mrh2go
Visitor

No sound for incoming SMS messages

Please help!  Incoming SMS messages are silent.  There is no sound on the phone when they arrive.  Phone ringtone and all other sounds/speaker work fine.  Is there an adjustment or setting for SMS or do I have a phone problem?

Thanks for your help.

14 REPLIES 14
NuitariKrynn
Visitor

I also had this problem after I repaired my Oreo installation on my Xperia XZ and my 'Messaging' app didn't play the notification tone.  I suspect the restore of my backup data may have broken something.

The settings menu inside the app 'Messaging' was different to the menu in 'Messages' app that appears in my brother's XZ Premium.  I had to go the long route to find the hidden notifications settings page.  This page then looked like the ones I found online.

(The below instructions are from the main phone settings app - ie the cog from the app drawer)

I went to Settings - Apps & notifications - Configure notifications - Notifications (On for all apps)

1.jpg1.jpg3a.jpg

This brought up a list of the apps.

I scrolled down to find the app 'Messaging' app and opened it.

1.jpg

You will see a page with a the app symbol and the app name 'Messaging'.

If the text under "Messages" is: No sound, then there is the problem.

5a.jpg

Select "Messages" to get to the sub menu.

Importance should be changed to Urgent: Make sound and pop on screen

When you go back 1 page, you should be able to select your sound.

Sound should be your notification sound.

I had Vibrate, Show notification dot & Blink light on the on position.  I had Interrupts set to off.  These 4 options are up to you.

6a.jpg7a.jpg8a.jpg9a.jpg

If you already had: Make sound and pop on screen, then my solution will not help you.

Deeporangehouse
Visitor

I love you

alienqueen
Visitor

thanks-it worked!

luci1974
Visitor

Re: No sound for incoming SMS messages

weis0305
Visitor

this is happening again with the recent Xperia updates just released (03/04/2020) — please review and repair.