Join now - be part of our community!

"HDD Registration Failed" on KDL-22EX320

profile.country.en_IE.title
binhex12
Visitor

"HDD Registration Failed" on KDL-22EX320

Got a KDL-22EX320 tv recently - plaesed with with but having an issue with connecting external drive via USB so that I can record to it.

I have tried with two different external drives - a 2TB Western Digital and a 250gb La Cie - the tv recognises the drive being attached but, when I try and Register it, the tv formats it for a few minutes then gives the message "HDD Registration Failed".

I checked that the tv is running the latest firmware and it appears to be.

Any suggestions? Does the drive need to be pre-formatted in any particular way?

Regards and thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Hi Johnaah,

Did you end up with a solution?

I have a KDL-40EX723 and also just tried also doing a factory reset.

I have a 2007 Western Digital Caviar 250Gb 3.5" hard drive which I have put into a powered external hard drive case. I originally formatted with exFat (which I believe is supposed to be a supported format) when connected to my windows vista laptop and when I had no luck (same error - not recognised). I then used a verbatim formatting utility to format the drive to fat32 as per this page: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Hope to hear back. Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TerriNX72
Explorer

Hi, Did you find a solution because I am having the same problem. I have KDL 40NX723 Sony Bravia. Brand new HDD Seagate expansion 2TB. Formatted on Mac to FAT 32. Format confirmed on Mac but when plugged into TV HDD Rec slot and select HDD registration I get same message:  "The HDD conencted with USB port for recording was not able to be recognized. Please confirm the connection". 

Have spent 2 days on Sony helpline - No help. All repeat mantra "Sony not responsible ect,etc...' Latest was "I'll email upstairs but you're not allowed to contact direct!!!

I was using a USB stick in same slot which is now full. So recording does work. 

Please help - I'm about to loose my mind!:smileyconfused:

Thanks.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

2TB is far beyond maximum volume size managed by FAT 32....https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938432.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

profile.country.GB.title
TerriNX72
Explorer

Thanks for replying. I formatted 2TB with Fat32 because this is what 3 Sony Techs have insisted I do. Sony says TV recording is compatible for up to 2TB. I read your link re Maximum Volume sizes, and wonder if  2TB needs to be NTFS and Sony is not advising this. Any thouhts?  Yesterday, after factory reset, again being told to format to Fat32, checking HDD REC slot works with smaller USB stick, Sony said I should have TV repaired! I know there is nothing wrong with TV because there are so many identical complaints!

Come on Sony - own up and help us!!