Join now - be part of our community!

Contacts transfer fail from XZ3 to Xperia 10 III

profile.country.FI.title
ttakalo
Explorer

Contacts transfer fail from XZ3 to Xperia 10 III

In my old XZ3 I have contacts in Google account and locally stored. Both these have extra fields in use like company and organization information. Yesterday I got my new Xperia 10 III phone and tried syncing / data transfer from old phone to new with both Google initial syncing and Sony Xperia Transfer 2 app. Both said that everything was done OK but as I look to my contacts in new phone, then a) only Google contacts are synced, none of the locally stored and b) none of the extra fields were transfered, only name and number. This is very frustrating. 

So how do I make sure that all contacts from old phone transfer to new and with all the extra fields intact? All help and tips appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.FI.title
ttakalo
Explorer

Additional info: I tried exporting contacts of old phone to .vcf and it looks like the additional fields (e.g. Organization) does not appera to the exported .vcf files either. So looks like for some reason XZ3 does not export nor sync all fields of the contacts. Is there any way to overcome this?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Start al over again on your XZ3

Sync the lot with Google, all under your Gmail account.

Reset your 10 III and try again.

Or slide in an SD card into XZ3, copy all local things to SD, transfer everything using Google and slide the SD into your brand new 10 III.

Maybe have a look at this post as well, especially the bottom line.

Hoping this overcomes your problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

Sorry if you've already checked this, but log into https://contacts.google.com using that Google account... check some of the contacts and make sure they're actually there with all the expected fields. If the field is support by Google, it will sync back down to the phone.

I only point this out as last time I helped a family member out with this, they didn't actually have the contacts sync'd to Google (phone had been set to store contacts locally on the phone only!), so their Google account had next to nothing to sync back down.... not the new phone's fault! I think this was because they had started using the phone by skipping the default Google login, then only setup a Google account when they realised they need 

The default action SHOULD be to sync everything up to the primary Google account and then back down again, so every Google contact visible on the website should be visible within a few minutes of first logging into the phone.

Once you know the contacts ARE on contacts.google, I'd be tempted to follow the advice from @Strampke  and start again and set it up from scratch.

Also worth checking in Contacts - Settings: double check that you can see the Google account in "contacts to display"... the default behaviour should be to display phone AND Google contacts (unless you've started with no Google account).