Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
danielbeyzade

Ive seen a variety units from original release to built this month and the hardware in them is all the same 1.5GB RAM and same processor ARM MT5890 dual core.

1.5GB RAM is the minimum according to Android's best practices. I have seen my set run out of RAM on several occasions. Whether this is because it does not have enough - or there are memory leaks I do not know. I suspect the latter.

In my opnion the Android board should be modular and removable so the TV can be upgraded at a later date. The panel is likely to last much much longer than the Android hardware...

elraouk

It is upgradeable... It's called plug anything into the HDMI port as it will no doubt perform better than the Sony hardware and software 😉 
jain236

on the other note , i have contacted Currys for free IR blaster as it was mentioned on their site included in the contents of box. 

so if anyone fancy then contact currys and they should order it for you for free.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

kevfarme wrote:

Just thinking out loud here folks.  I am starting to wonder if, given the ongoing problems some owners are having, Sony haven't upgraded/uprated specific components in these sets?  I say this because I am not experience any of the problems that others seem to have had long term (well, around at least 6 months).  My set was manufactured in November and was purchased just a couple of weeks ago.  Could/does this make any sense?  The underlying software will behave differently with differing hardware.  Being from an IT background (I ran a computer lab prior to having to retire due to ill health at my local university) I know that the seemingly 'same' model of a computer can actually have various hardware changes over its lifetime os maybe this is happening with these tv's.  If this is the case then Sony really ought to be looking at a mass recall for a hardware upgrade out of their pocket.

Please, discuss :slight_smile:

This is a very good point...  And certainly there does seem to be some varyance between sets.  Not sure when mine was built; and as it's on the wall I hoped not to see the back of it for a few years (not easy to check the label).  But it's only been here a fortnight...

Sony could offer a couple of options...   But at the very least should have recalled all current stock...

Daniel makes some good points... Though it's very common with TVs  (and I guess other things) to have slight variations as the builds progress; which can impact on how the item behaves....

It seems extraordinary that Sony would build the thing with the minimum RAM!  And - Yes; memory leaks seem likely. 

"In my opnion the Android board should be modular and removable so the TV can be upgraded at a later date. The panel is likely to last much much longer than the Android hardware..."

You're not wrong...  Though personally I won't be having the back off the set. 🙂   The big problem is that it's been integrated in such a way that it impacts on the very basic functions of the set. So it's not even as though you can ignore or disable the things that don't work - or even those that you just don't want!   

MrLizard

The Nexus 9, near enough the reference hardware implementation as specified by Google, has 2GB of RAM.  Same for the iPad Air 2.

1.5 GB is more than ample for the use case.

malcolm1962

This has been posted this evening by a dealer on the AV Forums site re. the X850x:

The issues you report have been massively solved by the latest update that went out on the 10th of December, they are no longer sluggish and have no crashes/reboots. The only thing lacking is the delayed USB HDD recording as you say. This is because Sony thought it best to ensure that the core features of the TV were working as best they can, due to this update being worked on rather than the recording feature.

Everything appears to be alright then!

MrLizard

This is entirely in line with my own experience. The TV is much more reliable for me now since the update. Furthermore it is encouraging to hear that stability is coming before features. Focus on your core use cases first, then do the fancy stuff.
UKPiglet

"This is because Sony thought it best to ensure that the core features of the TV were working as best they can"..."Everything appears to be alright then!"

True. Who needs sound and pictures at the same time? That's so.....well.....every other ruddy TV manufacturer in the world!

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Funny that... My two-week old set, which is NEVER used to do anything other that watch off-air broadcasts ( and certainly hasn't today) or DVD/BD via the HDMI ports has 'frozen four times this evening and required to be power-cycled on the last occasion ( about 20 minutes ago) - it also has the HDMI latency issues, erases wanted channels from the satellite channel list, restores unwanted ones etc etc etc...

And yes, it DOES have the 'latest' update...

Stability? Have they upgraded the little legs that go on the bottom??

profile.country.GB.title
Teknixjack
Explorer

Anyone know how to stop the screen format:full sign flashing up every 20 minutes or so? Wish I had never bought the TV!