Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mekerz

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the Sony Centre store replied to my email stating I wasn't entitled to a refund as the product wasn't mis-sold due to their in store POS not mentioning the USB HDD recording feature and that their website content is Sony's responsibility. 

Funny that their website footer claims otherwise:

THIS WEBSITE IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY INDEPENDENT RETAILERS WHO TRADE AS SONY CENTRES UNDER LICENCE FROM SONY EUROPE LTD. ALL SALES ARE WITH THE SONY CENTRES DIRECTLY AND NOT WITH SONY EUROPE LTD

I'll contact Sony directly tomorrow and I'll be seeking legal advise and representation (thankfully my employer offers this benefit).

I'm absolutely gobsmacked at Sony's lack of direct contact with their customers. The only time I've seen any Sony representation on here is because someone was instructed to remove a Sony UK executives email address from multiple posts; clearly he didn't like his inbox being filled with rightfully disgruntled customers who were fed up of hearing the same scripted apology from Sony "customer services".

profile.country.GB.title
dobooth13

Well done, thats the right move IMHO.
I think lots of returned TVs will focus Sony's attention more than this forum will.

----------------------------
KD-49X8307C
profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

like @malcolm1962 I have found that the latest update has seemed to cure the problems I was having with my X8507C ...It looks like Sony are sorting out the problems which does bode well for future proofing the TV... That is the main reason why I paid more for a 4K model.... because it will be refined & updated. Yes I was hacked off that basic functions didn't work, but I was never disappointed with the picture quality. So lets hope Sony go on & make the Bravia range the TV to own before OLED takes off in a big way & we all regret buying our 2015 LED sets!

profile.country.GB.title
Raichuu

And don't forget PiP / PaP!!

big feature for me personally... Especially on the larger sizes.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi UKPiglet and everyone,

We're monitoring all European forums very closely even if you don't see us/me posting very often.

All issues are reported in time and engineers are working very hard on solving them.

Anyway, due to the complexity not all issues can be solved immediately and we need to focus on mayor issues first like stability issues.

If you like you can share your experiences and issues in this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6Y868XQ

This helps me to report the number of issues much better and also provides some helpful information to engineers.

Thanks a lot for your patience and valuable feedback

Cheers

Peter

P.S. Please excuse my bad English - I'm not a native speaker

elraouk

Good to know the survey is monitored by Sony, wasn't clear when the link was originally posted.  Your English is fine! 
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi elraouk,

Not only the survey but also this forum and especially this thread.

Cheers

Peter

adyjay33

Join the club...I think there must be thousands around the world having these issues....

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
phiwer
Explorer

This has been posted this evening by a dealer on the AV Forums site re. the X850x:

The issues you report have been massively solved by the latest update that went out on the 10th of December, they are no longer sluggish and have no crashes/reboots. The only thing lacking is the delayed USB HDD recording as you say. This is because Sony thought it best to ensure that the core features of the TV were working as best they can, due to this update being worked on rather than the recording feature.

Everything appears to be alright then!

This is not true. Atleast not for me. I've been keeping a video diary of my experience with the X8509c I bought almost two months ago. I'm in talks with the dealer I bought it from (I want to return it), but so far the dealer wants to send it in for repairs. I asked them if the repair shop had any good java developers, cos that's what's needed if they want to repair it.

When I have some time over christmas I intend on posting the different videos I've collected, with a timeline covering the different updates. This applies to EU updates (not UK sadly as you seem to have been experiencing the worst issues).

I've been a SONY customer for quite some time. My last TV was also a SONY, it was brilliant, while it worked. But after this mess I am never buying SONY again.

Every company can have issues with hardware and software (I'm a software engineer with 25 years of experience in the field), but what really separates the good companies from the bad IMO, is how they deal with these types of situations. If SONY had been transparent about this situation, they would've built confidence in their customers that they're dealing with the situation and that it'll be solved. Instead we are left with our faith in SONY (of which we have little left).

My 2 cents!

Nibor99

/I had this problem on my KD43X8039CBU - it can be sorted via one of the settings options - I had a Sony engineer round to try and fix a number of issues and he stopped this happening - I think the remedial action was something to do with setting the screen format to "automatic". Perhaps someone else can give you more precise information. HTH/