Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Peter_S. wrote:

Hi UKPiglet and everyone,

We're monitoring all European forums very closely even if you don't see us/me posting very often.

All issues are reported in time and engineers are working very hard on solving them.

Thanks Peter,

It would also help Sony monitor this thread if everyone could keep the posts limited to actual current issues, with latest firmware and quote their model number each time. If you wish to discuss returns process, dealers' responses and Sale of Goods act, why not open a new more focussed thread for the items. There is also NO NEED to be offensive, rude or insulting to other members who only came here to register their problems with the sets or to help people resolve any technical issues they had.

Now I have gone 'off topic' I'll get back..

Since the latest update on 10th Dec (v 2645) my 43W805C (YouView enabled) had improved considerably and the remote is usually very responsive. However I have noted two outstanding unexpected events.

1) Switched from Freeview viewing to home screen, the TV reception which normally continued in the background stopped and the TV rebooted itself. I could not repeat the event on trying.

2) While moving around the home screen, the set froze for 10 seconds before allowing me to continue.

I am disapointed with the delays getting USB REC & PAP, I am also not happy that I will have to disable Youview to use HDD REC, this makes no sense and is a design defect which I hope will be rectified.

I have recorded items 1)&2) on the survey.

Thanks for listening Sony, and for allowing the thread to continue when it got out of order.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
adyjay33

Oh how I agree with you Phiwer....

I update the TV last night and it took a good 50 minutes from start to finish, a bit of a worry when it says only 30 mins!

I turned the TV off only to find it came back on again, I have found it impossible to completely turn it off so it must be in standby mode all the time using energy up for no reason.

This very morning I turned it on and kept getting a black screen, and when I went to turn it off the sound continued for another 5 seconds odd just as it did before the update.

I have tried the YouView again after turning it off as it kept crashing the system before so I will find out toinight after a bit more extensive use if the update has made any difference.

I did watch BBC HD and saw that the lip sync was out too which is annoying and noticable to me so that seems to have got worse, why is this as its OK on SD BBC1?

I am still on the verge of returning it but want to see if the 24th Dec update does anything at all, if not then I think my time with this model and company is going to be over for good sadly.

I think its a good thing that Sony is "Apparently" watching this forum espeically this thread and I hope that as has

been said that Sony are doing all they can to sort these issues out.

I have yet to really try this TV out fully as my time is precious to me and I really cant be bothered on a TV that does not do what it is supposed to do even in its most basic form with crashes etc... but if over the Xmas period I find issues I will record them all and let Sony know.

Keep up the pressure and I hope that these problems will be resolved soon.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE 10TH DEC 2016 (2.645)

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Nibor99

Randy, I am very pleased to know Sony are monitoring this forum and hopefully will soon be successful in sorting the many issues that have been reported. Thank you for letting us know that at least someone from Sony is on the case and please do try and keep us updated on any progress. I still have some issues with my KD43X8039CBU but currently I am nervous about installing the latest update until after Christmas in case my issues are made worse and my Christmas / New Year viewing is made even more problematic. After I have installed the updates I will post any remaining issues (if any) on your survey form to help you track them down and fix them.
jain236

Hi,

I really appreciate that sony is watching this thread closely. But first thing that comes in my mind is these are pretty basic Issue , which should have been found in the first place of your testing. if this product has gone at least basic sanity testing  then you would have seen all these Basic issue, which are very easily reproducible. Issue reported are not the edge case issues . Have you guys have not seen any of these issue at your quality check? Or is it the rush of blood to get the product in market? This not at all helping the people and brand in anyway in fact it is black mark for sony reputation. if TV is rebooting then it is catastrophic bug and first instance you should not have release.

We have paid lot of money hoping that at least basics of TV will work and now are forced to hunt to get the best of our money which is very annoying.

We need answers ..Please for good sake. 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@phiwer wrote:

This is not true. Atleast not for me.

No... It's not true...  But this is what you can expect...   Lots of 'false positives' along with attempts made to discredit those who challenge them.  They don't like having their feet to the fire... But - this is what passes for 'PR' these days.  And they know fine well that, although legislation like the CPUTR exists; there is no practical way of applying it! 

It's a circus. 

After six months exposure to the market basic problems such as random freezing, latency, missing and/or unusable menus etc. Sony have no solutions or workarounds. That certainly doesn't indicate to me that anyone worthy of the job title 'Engineer' is looking at these sets...

Half-a-dozen reboots we had last night... All my wife and kids were tring to do was watch terrestrial TV.   We've no 'apps' downloaded.; aren't attempting to run any streaming services.  The set has even been ( quite deliberately) disconnected from our home network. 

The night before the set deleted a satellite channel (STV North) while I was actually watching the news...   The remote control for the set was lying underneath it on the mantlepiece...  The set CANNOT receive all the currently available UHD demos; and there is no means of making it do so.  The set CANNOT pass through uncompressed audio without delaying it; and there is no means of adjustment to compensate...  

Accidentally press one of the unused 'apps' (which you can't get rid of) and the set will crash!

Basic stuff... Very basic basic stuff...  And either they can't fix it (in which case they're not fit to keep their jobs) or they have no intention of fixing it; just stringing us along. And, as others have predicted, Sony will 'ditch' this range and its users once next year's models emerge...  The development of which we have paid good money to contribute to! 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

adyjay33 wrote:
I did watch BBC HD and saw that the lip sync was out too which is annoying and noticable to me so that seems to have got worse, why is this as its OK on SD BBC1?

HD channels are transmitted by a completely different method... Often with Dolby surround.... 

These sets seem to have difficulty processing such signals...  If you actually DO want to use the surround modes properly (for which you need a full A/V amp and surround system) the set introduces a delay causing the picture to lead the sound...  One which varies from source-to-source and even programme to programme! 

Try going into your audio menu and setting the output to 'PCM'...  Even if you have nothing connected to the set's outputs.  It may help you.

adyjay33

I have a Panosonic Home Cinema Surround Sound System and there is a delay in the sound from that so I turn down the TV set to one bar as if I totally turn it down a stupid no speaker icon comes up on the TV, why do that Sony?

It's connected via an Optical cable that is directly into the TV so any sound from any source comes directly from the TV itself into the surround system.

I would have though this would be the best way as what the TV hears so does the suround system, wrong though.

The delay is obviously the TV as its sending out the signal via the optical port.

If there is any other way of conencting it as I do want the best sound I can then please get let me know or sort out the issue Sony?

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
dataghost
Explorer

Hi all,

I have been away from these forums for a few weeks due to a house move, and upon reconnecting my tv it has had an update.  Great I thought! but it seems just as poo as its always been which became quickly apparent when the tv refused to switch over to HDMI 3 without a full reboot.

Anyway, my question is: what did the update supposedly do?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

adyjay33 wrote:

I have a Panosonic Home Cinema Surround Sound System and there is a delay in the sound from that so I turn down the TV set to one bar as if I totally turn it down a stupid no speaker icon comes up on the TV, why do that Sony?

It's connected via an Optical cable that is directly into the TV so any sound from any source comes directly from the TV itself into the surround system.

I would have though this would be the best way as what the TV hears so does the suround system, wrong though.

The delay is obviously the TV as sending out the signal via the optical port.

If there is any other way of conencting it as I do want the best sound I can get let me know.

Firstly... There is the facility to turn the TV's speakers off altogether in the audio menu; no 'mute' icon then.  - Possibly not ideal if you don't use your amp all the time; but the 'mute' icon is something I've seen on other sets....

The delay you're taliking about is a major fault with the set - clearly Sony have known about it for over six months since release (and should never have released the set like this in the first place) but have done nothing about it... The delay varies with content. And is also present when audio is 'looped through' the HDMI ports.

The only 'cure' is to switch to PCM output - which will 'kill' many of the surround modes you paid good money to hear through your amp!  

adyjay33

Thanks for that I will have a look, of course if I had been given a DECENT manual with the TV then I would probably have figured this out, but as I only got a few pages of not a lot then its been an uphill struggle to work out how to operate this TV, I think we have all found this problem out though, I guess we have to guess from now on do we Sony?

Regarding the delay, yes its not good and I will try your suggestion of switching to PCM if I can find out where that is... lol

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!