Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
adyjay33

I have put it in my signature but like all Sony software it wont work... lol

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

Now it works!!!!

I dispair!

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
adyjay33

I am going to be honest, I like the TV... strange as it may seem.

The picture was better than all the TV's I saw in Currys in my own personal view and I looked for a very long time and got them to show me how it worked and of course there was no problem with that one or I would not have bought one.

Do Sony have a "Work well in shop" and "Work rubbish in home" setting on the TV's?

If they did I cant find it!

The Android system is actually a very good operating system, sadly it seems like Sony cant work with it very well and have changed somethings that affect the whole TV.

I too have said in the past that if they sort this out I would be happy, but its not so much the fact its playing up but the fact that this should not have happened in the first place. I give the benefit of the doubt to Sony but thats sadly running out so I am waiting till the 24th Dec to see if anything happens, probably not is my guess as they have mentioned the 31st march 2016!!

Someone in Sony should be fired as they are going to cost Sony a lot of money if this really gets out, who wants to buy a TV that is actually rubbish in what it can do and sometimes works, then sometimes does not?

Its frustrating...

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
kevfarme

adyjay33 wrote:

I am going to be honest, I like the TV... strange as it may seem.

The picture was better than all the TV's I saw in Currys in my own personal view and I looked for a very long time and got them to show me how it worked and of course there was no problem with that one or I would not have bought one.

Do Sony have a "Work well in shop" and "Work rubbish in home" setting on the TV's?

If they did I cant find it!

Hmm, I wonder if Sony are in cahoots with VW :grin:
Just trying to inject a little humour here :wink:
I have to admit that I too very much like my set.  I can't comment on things like satellite problems as I don't have a st system I am all terrestrial.  I don't really like You View and am a bit miffed that if I want to watch 'catch up tv' then I have to have it enabled, ah well.  I did find that an app seems to freeze the tv up, partially.  I had a look at the 'Snag Films' channel today.  It loaded....... but that was it.  I couldn't navigate anywhere within it.  So I tried the back button on the remote.  Nothing happened.  I did manage to get back to normal tv viewing by using the tv button again on the remote.  That's pretty much the extent of my annoyance barring not having HDD recording.  Give it time though :slight_smile:  I will say that if I do start to find more problems then I won't hesitate in taking the set back to Currys, I will not wait 6 months but I've only had it a couple of weeks so far.

For what its worth My 49-x8309C has improved its stability since the update of 10th Dec BUT.....

..... a few days I too have noticed that it seems to be slowing down when scrolling the EPG then it froze the other evening but seemed to thaw out again after a few minutes. It did it again later.  This morning, the old girl wouldn't fire up at all so I unplugged her and gave her some oats and hay and then plugged her in again and she seems fine....  Yep, I'm becoming of the opinion that some of the bad operating "features" are indeed some sort of memory leak / poor coding issues.

On the plus side, I managed to get the old girl working on terrestrial and with her two separate satellite inputs via the DiSeqC.  It took a bit of faffing and memory clearing and unpluging and coax swapping but I'm there. And I've managed to reorder the channels via the tedious settings menu. So I now have a terrestrial EPG and a single combined satellite EPG which includes Freesat, non-freesat (not Sky or pay channels, before you ask) and some FTA channels from Germany (Eurosport Deutchland and RTL - the latter good for free live F1 coverage).  So, who's a clever boy then....?  Trouble is, I read the earlier posts about maybe having to reset all my hard work at some point.  The next update will be scary or, at least "interesting".

BTW, I feed any peripherals via the HDMI connectors in my soundbar. This is then the only HDMI connection to the set - via HDMI ARC. I have seen no lip synch issues.

I viewed the Sky Ultra HD sample broadcast on the dedicated free Sky channel (300 or 350 ish or somewhere close I think it was) and this set reproduced it superbly. Stunning - just like it was in the shop so.... it can do it, just give her a few pats on the back and a few strokes now and again.

Bottom line is that this set is slowly beginning to show some signs of its quaility.  It has a long way to go yet, mind.  And it is still missing all those promised good features which Sony sold this set on the promise of but forgot to include. Perhaps they'ss add a few more than they originally offered...? ...er... nah, probably not! Very shoddy so far Sony.

For the benefit of any Sony employees / readers out there, tell the boss that we customers really need to be compensated for this and sharpish if Sony is to come out of this with any dignity and semblance of a continued reputation for quality.  It is teetering at the moment so...... you know what to do!

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Save your channels onto a USB stick...  At least then you can restore them. You did well; I couldn't get mine to either operate Diseqc or work with seperate feeds from each dish! 

Astra's UHD transmission is excellent... Trouble is if you Eutelsat 5W you'll find that it can't decode the Fransat UHD transmission; because you can't set the appropriate parameters... You'll get the sound but no picture! - Doesn't bode well!

spook63

@Randy_Rockhard 

I have a KDL-50W805C. I am in the UK. When the TV updated the other day to software version PKG2.647.0052EUA I lost YouView completely. I'm told it may be something to do with the fact that I had a DNS proxy enabled on my home router at the time of the update. I disabled the DNS proxy and have hard reset the TV, but when I check for updates it says I have the latest software version and I still don't have YouView. Can you please help?

Many thanks.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@spook63 wrote:

@Peter_S. 

I have a KDL-50W805C. I am in the UK. When the TV updated the other day to software version PKG2.647.0052EUA I lost YouView completely. I'm told it may be something to do with the fact that I had a DNS proxy enabled on my home router at the time of the update. I disabled the DNS proxy and have hard reset the TV, but when I check for updates it says I have the latest software version and I still don't have YouView. Can you please help?

Many thanks.

@spook63  - I'm curious; you've apparently accidentally loaded the wider European update...  Did this 'kill' your terrestrial EPG?  And did it have any any other effects on the set?

spook63

Well, the full Freeview list is still present - but in the 'old' DVB-T EPG format ...

Go figure!

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@spook63 wrote:

Well, the full Freeview list is still present - but in the 'old' DVB-T EPG format ...

Go figure!

...Which is what? Just the 'now and next' format as you get on satellite?  - I only ask because (personally) I'd prefer not to have the YouView app on my set at all.  - If the Euro update has stability advantages I'd go for that.