Join now - be part of our community!

43XD8099 HDR not being detected on Netflix?

SOLVED
Patrandec

43XD8099 HDR not being detected on Netflix?

Hi all, 

I've just bought a 43XD8099 in the Black Friday sales and have been settting it up today. However, I simply can't seem to get either Netflix or Amazon Prime to detect that it is an HDR set. I can go into the settings and change the HDR option from Auto to On and it then seems to come on - though it is VERY bright! But surely I don't have to do this every time I want to watch HDR compatible shows?  I've changed the HDMI settings to Enhanced but I thought that was only needed for HDMI equipped kit like the PS4 Pro? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrandec

Never mind! I reset to factory settings which seems to have done the trick. There's now a real difference in quality when i move from HDR on to off. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Patrandec

Ah, I think I've found the problem with Netflix - there is hardly any HDR content!? I found Marco Polo and Daredevil showing the HDR sign.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Correct - other than a few shows, there is still very few HDR content on Netflix - even 4K is limited to mainly a few shows and some 'reality' type TV.  Ive had the 4K 'premium' membership for the last 9 months now, after New Year, im dropping it for a while.

Cheers

Patrandec

Sorry to return to this but Netflix dropped the OA last week and it's classed as HDR but my Sony picture doesn't change at all.  It's identical to a normal 4k output.  In the settings it does say hdmi HDR and the  options are all on auto. Theres no change even if I change the HDR option to on.  Am I missing something in the settings?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have just tested OA on my TV (KD-55XD8577) and HDR plays just fine.  If you press the [Action Menu] button on your remote control and then go in "Picture".  It should state "HDR Video" under "Picture Mode".  Can you confirm?  See photo below:

Netflix - HDR - OA.JPG

Cheers

Patrandec

Hi, i don't have the same option as there is no HDR video option on my TV.  I've attached a screen shot.  When I then go into video options there are three options:

HDR mode: this is set to auto

HDMI video range: for some reason this is greyed out but is set to auto

Colour Space: set to auto

Weirdly,  if I then turn off HDR mode from the video options menu the screen gets brighter,  but is not HDR.

So I'm flummoxed!20161219_184613.jpg

Patrandec

Never mind! I reset to factory settings which seems to have done the trick. There's now a real difference in quality when i move from HDR on to off. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for posting back - its sometimes amazing that a factory reset cures issues such as this :slight_smile:

Cheers