Join now - be part of our community!

Audio Description problem - All4 app & KE-65XH9005

profile.country.GB.title
analogueheart
Explorer

Audio Description problem - All4 app & KE-65XH9005

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a strange and quite specific issue with audio description, which appears to have happened since the recent software update.  I've read through the forum and found quite a few issues/solutions for similar problems but so far, no luck...

Basically, I can't switch off AD on any catch-up programmes using the All4 app (launched from Sony Select) - I have tried the accessibility settings in the system menu (AD is in normal/off mode) and just about every other thing I can find in the audio menus.   There's no way of disabling in the All4 app (only subtitles on/off).

The Youview Catch Up app allows me to turn AD off/on via the Audio button on my remote - but this only works for live broadcasts.  Other catchup apps such as BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub all work fine, as there are AD on/off functions in each app (something which All 4 doesn't have).

A couple of other odd things... if I run the All4 app from a PS4, then there are no issues.  I also have a slightly older Bravia (KD-49XF7596) in another room which doesn't do this.  This all seems to point to the latest software update for KE-65XH9005, specifically the All4 app.

I know it's a long shot - but has anyone else experienced similar issues with All4 and the latest update for Sony Android or is there anything else that I might try that I've overlooked?

Cheers!

Mike

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
CinnamonJalapeno

Just thought it's worth checking - is there anyone reading this who got the All4 app in the late December update from Sony, but has not had the audio description problem with it? If not, it points to a problem with the app that would probably need an update rather than anything that we as customers can change.

profile.country.GB.title
analogueheart
Explorer

HI everyone, 

Thanks for your help with this - I'm glad it wasn't just me!   I've tried everything suggested here to no avail.  I think CinnamonJalapeno's suggestion is a very good one.  Is there anyone using All4 app since the December update who doesn't have Audio Description permanently switched on?  
It definitely seems like the update or app are the issue (or possibly a combination of both) and that we'll need to wait for a fix.

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi Analogueheart,

Can you reach ITV support to confirm this, also could you write down the version of this app?

profile.country.GB.title
Moanygit
Explorer

I have this issue to, either audio description or subtitles  (depending on what's available) seem to be stuck on.

Didn't have all4 on this TV before late December update. So unsure if it's related.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Moanygit, this seems to be an issue related to All4 only. Have you tried reaching out to YouView support to double check the app settings?

Renegadesi
Explorer

Yep, same has happened to us on our Sony 75” 2020 TV… all 4 has audio description turned on by default and no way to turn it off. This is using youview which is the only way we can get all 4 as it’s not available separately from the Google store. Doesn’t happen with any other players - from bbc to itv, channel 5 (all also youview) to Netflix, prime etc …

Renegadesi
Explorer

Tried this. Doesn’t work for us 

Renegadesi
Explorer

Tried this - didn’t work for us 

profile.country.GB.title
Moanygit
Explorer

I contacted All4 support, got this reply.

"We are sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with All4 on your Sony TV. We can advise that our technical team are aware of an issue affecting this device and they are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Please keep an eye out for any updates to the All4 app on your TV.

We appreciate your patience during this and apologise for any inconvenience caused."