Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Thanks for replying was hoping for the iplayer update at least very disappointed if this is the case hope i havent been sold a lemon

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

XD93 is based on the 2015 ATV1 platform. Support seems to be ceasing. ATV1 is not on the Oreo update list.

thesurted models link  is earlier in this thread

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

It does say some 2016 models will get an update hopefully the XD93 is one of them not fair when the cheaper models are getting an update

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sorry to disappoint you but XD93 won‘t be one of them. Only models after mid-2016 which are based on the ATV2 platform.

profile.country.GB.title
stevenhenry

Oh well then will have to wait and hope that my youview box gets an update instead either that or buy a roku streaming stick +

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

Typical Sony yet again not future proofing the technology especially for loyal customers who spend over the average on the premium Sony models to ensure quality and better support. All that marketing BS which came out to lure customers to buy the XD models for top $$ and this is how they repay them! It’s a absolute disgrace! Sony needs to look a other technology companies such as Apple who work hard to protect the investment their customers make instead of shutting down the support of expensive TVs within 3-4 years of release! SHAME ON YOU SONY!
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but both UHD trial streams are up and running and have been for months. If you can’t see them either a) Sony haven’t sorted this, b) the BBC haven’t added these sets to their whitelist yet or c) your broadband speed at the tv is too slow. 

profile.country.GB.title
lukejohnson

Yep I’ve just checked the BBC list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/uhd-connected-tv

Which only goes to prove my point the both LG and Panasonic are light years ahead of Sony (Supporting plenty of products launched in 2016 - unlike Sony) both in terms of technology of there products as well as the standard of support along with loyalty to there customers investment. I know what my next TV brand is going to be! #SONYFAIL
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@lukejohnson  schrieb:
Typical Sony yet again not future proofing the technology especially for loyal customers who spend over the average on the premium Sony models to ensure quality and better support. All that marketing BS which came out to lure customers to buy the XD models for top $$ and this is how they repay them! It’s a absolute disgrace! Sony needs to look a other technology companies such as Apple who work hard to protect the investment their customers make instead of shutting down the support of expensive TVs within 3-4 years of release! SHAME ON YOU SONY!

It was total mismanagement to base 2016 flagship TVs (XD93, XD94) on ATV1 while using ATV2 on entry-level models (XD75, XD80) released some months later of that same year.

Quite some people praise Sony for their software updating policy which I strongly disagree with. Those early 2016 models for example came with Lollipop even though they should have been released with Marshmallow which then arrived with substantial delay of well over a year. And due to their very ATV1 (MediaTek MT5890) nature, those TVs already look to be EOL after having received the Nougat update. They will also never see official Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa support.

If you look at the early 2018 models (XF90, AF8), those are still on Nougat too, so being TWO Android TV iterations behind. How can anyone consider that a good software support? Also given the fact that the OS is flaky as hell.

BTW, Philips will update their MT5890 based TVs to Oreo.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@lukejohnson wrote:
Yep I’ve just checked the BBC list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/uhd-connected-tv

Which only goes to prove my point the both LG and Panasonic are light years ahead of Sony (Supporting plenty of products launched in 2016 - unlike Sony) both in terms of technology of there products as well as the standard of support along with loyalty to there customers investment. I know what my next TV brand is going to be! #SONYFAIL

That page is all to be fair, in the past, and "were supported" is the key there. Not that I am defending Sony, even with the latest XE update which is supposed to add support (again). I am not convinced it will be working (or is). The worry is the beta videos which are available don't work, so it doesn't bode well.