Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

so Sony whats the official response to this now... bearing in mind weve had:

1.) Its fixed (it Wasnt)

2.) Its the BBCs problem (it wasnt)

3.) Firmware will fix (it didnt)

4.) Its fixed (still wasnt)

5.) Its the BBCs problem (it wasnt)

6.) Firmware will fix (it didnt)

7.) Its fixed but the BBC app is the problem (im going out on a limb to say its probably still a Sony Issue)

i just cant get my head around how a cheap £100-200 tv can get this right yet my £1000 at the time tv cant

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Prior20 wrote:

1.) Its fixed (it Wasnt)

7.) Its fixed but the BBC app is the problem (im going out on a limb to say its probably still a Sony Issue)

i just cant get my head around how a cheap £100-200 tv can get this right yet my £1000 at the time tv cant

Your guess is as good as anyones. If I could be bothered I would contact the BBC to ask but, I seriously can't be bothered. My guess is if it is working (now) then the BBC will probably have to update the iPlayer, When the World Cup was on the iPlayer was being updated quite often sometimes daily, which gave us hope, but, ultimately ended in disapointment.

Again if I could be bothered I could check the iPlayer App version details over the next week on the TV, if they are still updating, then I guess its still broken. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

@Prior20 wrote:

1.) Its fixed (it Wasnt)

because sony sold us a pup when it came to some 2016 supposed high end sets. simple as that. never again for me. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Oh boy, I checked, the iPlayer build was updated on the 24th September, this most definately is not fixed. *face palm*. No test videos exist in the beta (as they should do, and do on other "compatible" devices).

Do Sony actually talk to the BBC? Sony, seriously? This is a farce.

Edit: both test loops working on PS4 in standard and beta. Nothing showing on XE90. Working? I think not.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

Sony are lying little *****s

I just got this from the BBC.

""I've checked the certified Sony devices and I cannot find your model on it(ZD9). Sony may not have submitted it for certification yet, if it's a new TV. You will need to get in touch with Sony and find out if they have submitted it for certification."

So it has not been submitted.

Lying toe rags Sony.

#sony

Hmmmm just thought. Could this be a Mis-sold product?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@newbix wrote:

I just got this from the BBC.

""I've checked the certified Sony devices and I cannot find your model on it(ZD9). Sony may not have submitted it for certification yet, if it's a new TV. You will need to get in touch with Sony and find out if they have submitted it for certification."

So it has not been submitted.

Does not suprise me, I am gobsmacked how Sony are handling this to be honest.

Who did you contactat the BBC by the way as I want to ask about the XE9005?

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well just had a reply on twitter from one of my comments on you'res stormyuk. fadi really does like making up utter bs when it comes to this now. 

Hi, our team spares no efforts in delivering the latest features to products whenever possible, we recommend keeping an eye on future updates to get the best possible experience. ^Fadi

yeah the only way they can make my tv play hdr on iplayer at 50fps or 60fps on youtube is by replacing the internals as the tv isnt powerful enough to do the job, never has and never will be! but nope im being promised some miraculouse update one day on a tv that shouldnt need it with what it was costing new! 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

well just had a reply on twitter from one of my comments on you'res stormyuk. fadi really does like making up utter bs when it comes to this now. 

Hi, our team spares no efforts in delivering the latest features to products whenever possible, we recommend keeping an eye on future updates to get the best possible experience. ^Fadi

yeah the only way they can make my tv play hdr on iplayer at 50fps or 60fps on youtube is by replacing the internals as the tv isnt powerful enough to do the job, never has and never will be! but nope im being promised some miraculouse update one day on a tv that shouldnt need it with what it was costing new! 

I emailed Fadi this morning with all the information, BBC are still telling me from email contact that they are working on it with industry. I don't know exactly what that means but clearly, whatever work is being done hasn't worked so far because UHD test content is not visable on my XE9005.

With respect to 60fps Youtube with HDR it does work, if using Smart YouTube TV sideloaded. The official YouTube app is the problem, I think the TV can cope.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

the thing is it should work out of the box, i shouldnt have to sideload a app that strips everything back just because sony cant be arsed. im really shocked and disapointed at the way sony is just being so lazy when it comes to tv updates and fixing problems that shouldnt exist. let alone the way fadi and the other cust support agents who just trot out the same "watch this space" bs time and again. i wouldnt be surprised if sony have stopped working on updates for my tv being a late 2016 model by now thinking that it works well enough. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@BigUglyGac wrote:

the thing is it should work out of the box, i shouldnt have to sideload a app that strips everything back just because sony cant be arsed. im really shocked and disapointed at the way sony is just being so lazy when it comes to tv updates and fixing problems that shouldnt exist. let alone the way fadi and the other cust support agents who just trot out the same "watch this space" bs time and again. i wouldnt be surprised if sony have stopped working on updates for my tv being a late 2016 model by now thinking that it works well enough. 

While I blame Sony for a lot, I think the issue lies with Google's shoddy YouTube app personally. I agree it should just work but, having 2 Youtube applications is not that a big deal. If I want anything in 60fps HDR I have to use the Smart YouTube TV app, otherwise I just use the standard app.