Join now - be part of our community!

Delay in sound onset in some TV programmes.

profile.country.GB.title
Windblown
Explorer

Delay in sound onset in some TV programmes.

We have recently bought a Sony Bravia 55" 4K Android TV. After initial problems,  resolved when we had our aerial signal optimised, reception has been great with excellent HD on terrestrial TV and superb 4K on recorded and streamed media.  However one problem remains.

On certain sorts of TV programmes there is a delayed onset of sound at the beginning of segments, such as change of scene, change of studio camera, change of person speaking.  Delay = 1 to 2 seconds. Once initiated, sound is  properly synced with good sound and picture quality. The delayed onset has been noted at the beginning of some adverts and during news programmes, chat shows, TV drama and  game shows, but never during broadcast or streamed movies. I have started to keep a log, which I will share in due course, if necessary, when I have enough negative and positive data. 20241014_163854.jpg 

Steps I have taken include ensuring that in 'Settings' that the system is prioritised for an optical connection to the sound bar. The sound bar, see image,  is an LG with bluetooth subwoofer. Yes, I did power the sound bar off and on after changing settings. 

Any suggestions folk? 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Do you experience the audio problems when only using the TVs internal speakers.

profile.country.GB.title
Windblown
Explorer

No.  There is never a delay in initiation of sound through the TV speakers. 

I can't think what settings might change anything. 

Here are the current settings. I get the same symptom if 'using the TV speakers as the centre speaker of the home theatre system'   is enabled. 20241015_115053.jpg 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Why the digital audio output is set to pcm? It requires the TV to downgrade to stereo analogue audio instead of the original digital signal. It could be that this is not the root cause but for sure you are getting a worst sound from your soundbar....

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

….and a delay each time while the soundbar tries to sort out the ruins of your audio!

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…