Join now - be part of our community!

Linking the HT-CT80 to the KDL-50W809C

SOLVED
idledown
Explorer

Linking the HT-CT80 to the KDL-50W809C

Hi there,

Apologies in advance if that has already been posted before (I had a quick search and could not see anything), I recently purchased the above and would like to link the volume on the TV's remote to the soundbar so I don't have to use the remote control of the soundbar to turn down the volume on the TV. 

I have tried doing this through the action menu - sych setup but it doesn't find anything. 

Is this possible? Not a big deal if isn't but the less remote controls down the crevices of the sofa the better.

Thanks in advance,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately the HTCT80 doesn't have any HDMI connection that could enable the CEC protocol and so the possibility to use the TV remote to command it. Via optical cable it is not possible.

View solution in original post

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Why does the Sony Specification page list CEC as an option then ? Though, I agree there appears to be no HDMI ports.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-ct80#product_details_default

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
idledown
Explorer

Anybody know? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately the HTCT80 doesn't have any HDMI connection that could enable the CEC protocol and so the possibility to use the TV remote to command it. Via optical cable it is not possible.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Why does the Sony Specification page list CEC as an option then ? Though, I agree there appears to be no HDMI ports.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-ct80#product_details_default

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Do not know what really means what's written there "Optional In/Out/TV (CEC)", it doesn't have any HDMI so any CEC so unfortunately any remote control....

idledown
Explorer

Hi there rooobb!

That's what I thought but the guy in the shop insisted it worked together - quoting the Sony website. Not a bit deal... slightly frustrating to be missold something but never mind, will just have to use two remotes. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'm sorry. You have still one option: buy a programmable universal remote (I have a Logitech Harmony that works very well and I do not use since I have all HDMI linked, but you are too far away to give it :slight_smile: ) : it can be programmed to control both equipment at once

idledown
Explorer

I was looking at universal remotes on Amazon UK yesterday - will take a look at this particular model.

Thanks again!